Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The Valentine's Day Card Conundrum...

My first semester here I started a sort of tradition for myself. In February of 2003 I saw a box of cheap elementary school style Valentine's Day cards. I got them just for the heck of it. The next morning I spent at least half an hour thinking about all the girls I knew on campus and labeling my cards for them. I must have given out over 40 cards. I was astounded to see how my very simple gesture was very genuinely appreciated. That little piece of cardboard stock paper made a pretty significant impact.

The following year I got a new stack of Valentine's Day cards and did it again. I upped the ante by giving out candy with each card. It seemed harder for some reason. I realized that pre-writing the cards was too difficult. I had to fish around in my bag to find the right one. The girl would have to stand there awkwardly waiting for me. I still gave out most of them, but it seemed that I just had less girls to give cards to.

Last year I still wanted to give out cards, but I wanted to streamline the procedure some. I decided to write down only my name on each card, carry around a pen and write the names on the cards as I saw the girl. That was a less than best solution. If I didn't see the girl early enough to write the name, they saw me writing their name on the card. Nothing seems to make a girl feel more special than a guy thinking of her on Valentine’s Day only because he happened to run into her. The fact that he thought of her only long enough to write her name on a card is less than flattering. I ended up having a lot less cards given out.

This is my last year on this campus. I got nice shinny SpongeBob SquarePants cards. These were not the $.99 cards. They were nice. I gave out about 10. That’s it. And again, I didn’t write any names on them in advance. And it didn’t matter. I came to a sad realization. I don’t have very many friends any more.

I think living off of campus has limited my stock of friends in more than half. Each semester many friends leave, but usually, I make new ones. I haven’t been able to do that off campus. And I hate to admit this, but I think the lack of the Caf has done the majority of the damage. I don’t miss the food, but I miss the social interaction. I don’t know when I’ll get to use that stack of leftover Valentine’s Day cards I have set aside.

I don’t know where I will be next Valentine’s Day, but I’m pretty sure that I will not buy any more cards. This year I don’t think I disappointed any girls that I did not give cards to, but it disappointed me that I had almost no one to give cards to.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry. Someday you'll only have one Valentine!!!

William said...

Awwww, thats such a sad story. Sounds like a cultural communication phenomenon that could be used as a prompt for a Comm 360 paper...or something like that...yeah.

Happy St. Patty's!

Anonymous said...

You think it's bad now, try that when you're out of school. Or worse, when you're out of school and age out of a singles ward. It's doesn't get any better.

I know.