Monday, September 05, 2005

Sensitivity Training...

I have been painted as a very chauvinistic and self righteous individual through my blog. Granted, it has been a result of what I have said, and more so, what you have inferred me to mean. Well, scorn women of the world take heart. I am about to undergo some very tuff reeducation therapy. This semester I am taking Communications 280. That may not sound very impressive until you know that the subject is "Communication, Culture and Gender Studies". It's about 33% communication and culture and 66% or more gender.

My text book is Gender Speak. The first chapter reminds me that, "regardless of whether you personally embrace feminism, much of what you do and enjoy today is a result of actions of and advocacy by feminists... It is because of dedicated feminists that many of you are sitting in this classroom today." I wonder how balanced this course will be...

The scheduled readings include:
  • "Feminism"
  • "American manhood"
  • "The male myth"
  • "Evolution of ideals for women in Mormon periodicals"
  • "Molly Mormons, Mormon feminists and moderates"
    and my favorite
  • "Threatened manhood"


I have decided to really jump into this with both feet. I watched "The Price Is Right" last week and was inspired by Bob when he suggested that I, "spay or neuter my pet." I called my local pound right up and found out that I could get the same surgery for the same cost as long as I didn't mind only getting a local anesthetic and shaved myself. I also obtained a tampon from my friend Carolyn and plan on using it regularly. My teacher has promised me that if I buy the first season of "The Christopher Lowell Show" on DVD and denounce all men as selfish pigs I will get no lower than an "A-". If I become a hula kumu (hula dance teacher) or hair dresser I get an "A".

Any suggestions from you on how to ease into this transition of becoming a 21st century momma's boy?

8 comments:

Su Chong said...

Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, SPAM!!!

'nuff said.

Shaleen said...

That is hilarious. I can't wait to hear more about your experiences in this class. I wait in anticipation. Muahahahahaha...^_^

Amanda/Mandie said...

Sis. Ward isn't that bad. However, I've heard that she makes men end up feeling guilty for the gender they were born as. I don't agree with that however. Good luck though, different points of view are always welcome. Good to have you back by the by neighbor.

Anonymous said...

This should be very interesting!!! I hope you keep us posted. I'm hopefull for you but I think it might take more than a class for you! LOL

Rossie said...

LOL! That reminds me SO much of classes my husband took - "Gender as a Social Justice Issue", "Communication, Culture & Difference", and my favourite, a subject that taught teachers how to teach religion, which was taught by a catholic lesbian nun. (I used to write assignments for him for all these classes. He got A's.) I could go on for ages about all this stuff but all I'm gonna say is good luck. Chances are every time you express an honest opinion you're gonna need an ice pack.

Anonymous said...

Broaden your horizons. Good boy. All I've heard about this class is that you end up a lot more sensitive to sexism in the media. And it goes both ways.

Rusch said...

If you eat hot wings once a week while drinking a frosty beverage you will come out unscathed. Or for every hour you spend in class spend 15 minutes at a construction site or steel mill and you will be fine.

Anonymous said...

Jared,
I know where you can get a fabulous smear.