Friday, September 02, 2005

Spam, Spam, Spam...

Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, SPAM!!!
- Monty Python "Spam"


I'm sure you have noticed that sometimes a comment will show up on my blog pretending to compliment me and then containing a link to some site. Ya, that's right. Those darn spam folk have found a way to ruin blogs now.

I have had a very loose policy on keeping random comments on my blog. I read each and every one. I have never deleted a single comment regardless of how much I agree or disagree with it; until now. I have unceremoniously deleted the spam. I left the first two before I noticed it was genuine spam. I also left one more on my two year anniversary post so you can see what I was talking about. To help curb the automatic generation of these cheap plugs I have activated a process that makes you type back some letters that are placed on your screen. I apologize for the inconvenience and encourage you to still leave as much or more comments as usual.

*ascends to top of homemade soap box*

Do not support these spammers!!! Do not click on these links and boycott anything they talk about. Until the government makes it legal to kill spammers we just have to ignore them. The reason why we still have spammers is because it still works. They are making money so stop supporting them!

*steps off of soap box*

Thanks, that's all.

2 comments:

Singapore Girl said...

We got our first 2 spam comments today in our familylane blog. I'd like to know how you added the verification thing.

Thanx

Jared said...

The addition is easy. Log on to your blog. Click on the settings icon for your blog. Go to the "comments" tab. About half way down the options you will see an option for turning on comment verification (or something to that effect). I did get one spam comment after it, but that might have been before I republished. It seems to work very well. Good luck.

Oh, and Beth, we would welcome you back any time...