Saturday, July 22, 2006

Biba Guam...

Ya, you read it right, “biba.” I don’t know if it’s the fact that Chamorro, the indigenous language, has only been written for 20 years or if people here have hearing disabilities, but that is the local way of saying “viva Guam!”

Why is “biba Guam” on the tip of my keyboard? I have seen it everywhere as it is Guam Liberation Day. My first official holiday in Guam. It’s fitting that it is a local holiday, not a national one. There is something more unique about experiencing local holidays.

62 years ago on July 21nd(in Guam, July 20th in the States), the American armed forces liberated Guam from the control of the Japanese. What better way to celebrate that than to use your government food stamps to buy Budweiser and dance in the poorly paved streets waving Japanese made flags to Japanese made fireworks? I can’t think of one.

I attended the 62nd annual Liberation Day Parade. It was hot, muggy, and, sadly, a pretty weak parade. Some floats were actually well done. Mostly, the line was nothing more than car dealerships parading new 2007 models. No joke. And it wasn’t like these were masked as something relevant to the festivities. Each dealership actually had a section. There was no music, but every single vehicle in the line was honking solidly through the 4 hour parade.

The cell phone companies, the political candidates and local businesses, each had a float. It was more about shameless promotion than liberation. I’d like to see a parade that celebrates the liberation of industrialized cultural imperialism.

The local politicians were giving away hotdogs, hamburgers and water with their logos on them. If they wanted my vote, the burgers should have tasted better.
Campaign Food



Campaign Food

Yummy...Campaign Food!



I took some pics of the parade that were not meerly mobile commericals.


Chamorro Dude

I bet his feet are like rubber


Student Ass

I wanted to get a shot of this truck from the angle most people first saw it from. I think next time they should hang the sign better.


What Parade?

I wonder if this guy on the scooter even knows that there's a parade going on. "What parade?"



Barrigada Float

Barrigada is the villiage I live in and the name of my branch



I think my favorite was this car.

Drunk Busters

Drunk Busters (possible copywrite infringment with that logo...)



I’m not sure if that was a car in the parade, or if it was on duty. I dare say that many of the people lining the streets of the parade had seen the inside of it before. Ironically, three cars ahead of it, the guy driving the float was drinking beer. Seriously, driving a truck in the parade with an open beer can yards away from “Drunk Busters.”

Biba Guam!

Drunk Busters and me

5 comments:

Rossie said...

Your passport must be getting very colourful with all the travelling! Love the Drunk Busters van.

Anonymous said...

Wow...it's much easier to judge others when you have had COUNTLESS more opportunities, not to mention exposure to proper upbringing. I say "exposure to" because I'm not sure you took what your parents taught you seriously. Mainlanders (which I am one of BTW) need to remember that there are many other coultures in the world that are more naive and isolated and require incredible ammounts of patience, example, and diligence...not more snubbery and isolation. I know this post is old, old, old, and perhaps your perspective isn't as unfairly chastising as it is now, but I felt the Chamorro need to be defended--they are only honoring as their fathers have taught--they know no better...yet.

Anonymous said...

Jared your blog on biba Guam may have been in three years ago, but I still find it a bit offensive. I stubbed on your blog while on Google. I, being a proud Chamorro American born and raised on the island of Guam, can not come to grasp how ignorant some of your comments are. I hope your comment on using food stamps to buy beer and dance on the streets waving Japanese made flags and fire works was because of the irony of it. Considering that Guam was occupied by the Japanese for a torching two and a half years during WWII. Which of course that became water under the bridge, and Guam's has had many Japanese tourists. But what I found the most offensive was this comment "It was more about shameless promotion than liberation. I’d like to see a parade that celebrates the liberation of industrialized cultural imperialism." I do not know what your experience was like at the liberation parade, but you should be a bit more mindful making such remarks on the internet for the world to see. "Shameless parade that celebrates the liberation of industrialized cultural imperialism," is not what Guam Liberation Day has means to me or has meant for my Nana who was alive during the occupation. The parade may not have been the most organized or fanciest, but bottom line we come together to celebrate and remember no matter what the floats may be.

Anonymous said...

biba. . pathetic whiteboy. LOL

Anonymous said...

& to the the "Anonymous" whiteboy. . we are not naive. so stop trying to defend what you are completely "naive" to. XD