Wednesday, October 11, 2006

So, Where Has Jared Been...?

Ya, I'm wondering the same thing. In fact, I think that being Jared, the subject would be of even more paticular interest to me. Well, over the last two weeks, I have been busier than a three legged cat trying to bury a turd on a frozen lake while being chased by ravenous wolves. So, ya, busy.

We had a wonderful gentleman from Idaho come to work with me on the satellite system here in Guam, Saipan and Pohnpei before conference. For the two weeks that he was here, we worked day and night. In Guam we have about 12 languages coming down to us. That is more than any other site the church has in the whole world! We have to have two large server racks full of equipment just to get it all to work. It's humbling to know that we have the most complex and diverse receiving unit of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and that is a big world wide church! Just take a look at the back of one of these racks.

Guam's Satelite Rack (Back)

Guam's satellite Rack from the back


I had to assemble that whole rack and then put all of that equipment in, and wire it pretty much from scratch. Believe me, it was no small task. I literally worked over 50 hours straight (minus a break for food, not sleep) the day of conference. This as due in part to the fact that I had to record 8 of the languages, make multiple copies and label and prepare them for shipping to the Micronesian Islands (Over 200 discs). So I hope that you can forgive the fact that I let my blog go unattended for a while.

Now that I am back on Guam and starting to get close to caught up at work, I am preparing my pictures of Saipan and Pohnpei, as well as fun filled stories and anecdotes. I also have a new P.O.'d Cast ready to go, it just needs some finishing touches.

One thing is sure. When conference time comes for the Church, the average person at home or in a chapel has no idea what kind of work goes into each and every one. Now, being a small part of it, I can see what a magnitude of effort goes into this marvelous work and wonder that is the proliferation of the word of the Lord's servants to the world in not only English, but often in their own language. What an a amazing thing it really is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wowzers! You are one busy guy. I've been wodnering and checking your site to see any updates. So do you like being that busy? I'm not sure I would. This stay at home Mom stuff is right up my alley. However I do keep busy with a few things other than kids. I'm going to be working at Bath and Body Works for the Christmas season and I still do Mary kay so that will keep me on my toes a little more. Carter is in Pre School so I'm running him to and from school twice a week. Being a Mom is GREAT! You'll never know what being a Mom feels like but I think you'll like fatherhood just as much. Keep up the good work in Guam and keep in touch!