Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Life Lessons and Toilet Trouble...

Don't worry, I'm not having trouble using the toilet. Well, I guess that all depends on who you ask.

You see, ever since I told people I was getting married all I ever got from everybody was advice. And every married person feels that they are the best at relationships. The fact of the matter is, they may be the best at relationships with their spouse, but they don't have clue one about Anna. There may be universal similarities in women, but Anna is still in a league of her own. (Yes, that's a good thing.)

I did receive good advice, but much of it could not prepare me for the particulars of my relationship. For example
  • When I cook or boil corn, I should save the water so that Anna can drink it; tossing it out is wasteful.
  • Ask first before flushing, in case the other needs to use the toilet, that way one flush will save water.
  • When playing Chess or Majong, lose on purpose, but don't let her know.
  • Never go to bed with wet hair, or you will have wrinkles when you are old.
  • Picking your nose is being seen doing it is fine, as long as no one finds the evidence.
  • Yahoo! Instant Messenger is to be running at all times.

    And last but not least:

  • What my Anna wants, my Anna gets!


My photographer friend, Del Benson, has always seemed to be particularly interested in my toilet behavior. Just about the first thing he told me was to remember to always keep that toilet seat down. Well, that and he instructed me that when you are married, taking out the trash is foreplay.

Once I was married, the first question Del asked me was whether or not I was keeping the seat down. Then when he first spoke her post marriage, you can guess what he first asked.

I think it's nice that he is concerned and it's obvious he is trying to help me avoid pitfalls that he has likely encountered in his marriage. I get the impression that there are armed guards standing by his bathroom ready to shoot if he or his sons leave the without placing ht seat down. It sounds scary. I also wonder how a house full of boys lost so forcefully to one woman. That speaks volumes for Sister Benson. But I am in a different situation. What he is forgetting is Anna's background.

In Vietnam, where Anna grew up, they didn't even have toilets, let alone an extra seat that could be lifted. The seat issue wasn't even an issue for her at all.

*Sigh* You will notice that I said "wasn't" an issue. Thanks to the friendly advice she thought about it and decided that she should care about it, so now, once friendly advice has turned into one extra headache that wouldn't be there otherwise. Ah, the irony.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I got a kick out of this blog. You make me laugh. My husband dosn't understand why I am so obsessed with your blog. For some reason he could care less when I'm telling him all about what you've written latley. He'll never get it I guess. Thanks for blogging. I've been waiting very patiently for an new entry. Thanks a bunch!