Saturday, July 14, 2007

I Don't Think I'm Turning Japanese...

"...No, I don't think I'm turning Japanese, I don't think so..."

When I first landed in Japan, I was surrounded by a sea of shiny black scalps. It was instant; I was more the minority than every before.

The flight in was very pleasant, however. Thanks to my frequent flying, I got a bump up to First Class. Ah, it was great. The seat had so much leg room I literally couldn't touch the one in front of me with my foot if I wanted to. And the powered foot rest really adds that extra touch. The food is always much better on first class as well. I don't think I want to every fly coach again. However, I am sure the travel to and within Vietnam will be much less comfortable.

So, I landed in Japan. It's a land of cleanliness and confusion. I thought it was interesting to notice the "exit" signs there. At an airport you want to see something more serene than some stick figure dashing out of a darkened hallway as if running for his life.

A bit dramatic, but it does make you want to exit.



I got in at night so I didn't see too much in my car ride from Narita to Tokyo, but I did get a nice view of the Tokyo skyline.

Tokyo Skyline as seen from my hotel room.



I awoke the next morning a couple hours too early (jet lag) so I got to watch some world-famous Japanese TV. I don't get it. And I have a feeling that even if I did speak Japanese I still wouldn't get it. They get some real old stern looking 40+ aged man and stand him next to a 16-year-old bright and bubbly Asian cherub that looks like she crawled out of anime. They never sit down. Ever. No one on Japanese TV sits. The anchors, the game show hosts, the guests, no one.

While the stern one talks about something, he/she will get interrupted at least once every 5 seconds by the Asian Cherub, some feminine mid-twenties guy slightly off camera with colorful square glasses, or the animated nonsensical images they splash on the screen incessantly. Of course, all of this is also accompanied by sound effects that were likely found in the dumpster behind Hanna-Barbabra's house. On the bright side, kids with ADD would love Japanese TV.

Of course, during the day time, I was in our Area Office in the center of Tokyo.

Asia Pacific Area Office for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. (We love long titles in the Church)



In the time I could get for sight seeing, I tried to travel within Tokyo some. On my last day I got lost looking for two GeoCaches. I also visited the Tokyo Tower and an old Buddhist temple nearby.

Old and new combine in Japan well.



But despite the grandeurs of Japan, I appreciated the little stuff. Like robotic toilets, and signs with obscure English.

Not so familiar with the other features, but the bidet was a "fresh" experience for me.


This sign would be more at home in Vietnam during the 1960's, but I think they simply meant that traffic was to merge.



One thing I thought was funny about Japan was the labor uniforms. Everybody that has an outdoor job has a goofy uniform. If I didn't know better, I would think that the construction workers went as far as to iron their bright fresh tangerine jumpsuit and polish their ghost white hard hats. If you thought all Japanese looked the same before, wait till you see 20 of them at a construction site wearing matching just-off-the-rack uniforms. Come to think of it, they look like Lego men.

But the policemen were the ones that had me laughing. Take a look at these uniforms.

Fashion Police



Ha! This isn't the best shot, but it's enough to see how silly it is. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but this has to be the least intimidating form of law enforcement I've seen. Cops dressed in powder blue with marshmallow white trim? "Oooh, don't write me up me for not having my belt match my shoes, fashion police!" Even the potentially threating hand-cuffs or gun are covered in fancy white leather. I've had crossing guards in elementary school that instilled more confidence in public safety.

Well, all mocking aside, Japan is a wonderful place. It has rich culture, but also is very future forward. The people seemed by and large friendly and happy. I wouldn't wish driving there on my worst enemy, but I would recommend anyone to visit.

And as this business trip is now over, I've got to catch a plane to Bangkok for a short layover before I get to see my wife again in her natural element; Vietnam.

1 comment: