Tuesday, July 17, 2007

First Flight into Hanoi...

Relations between the U.S. and Vietnam have come a long way from the last helicopter out of Saigon to my first flight into Hanoi. So I wasn't really worried about the whole government/communism thing as I landed. I was more worried about the family/confusion thing.

I saw my wife and mother-in-law waiting for me as I was finally let through the security into the lobby of the airport. Then my father-in-law came up in his new car and we had a quick handshake as we loaded up the luggage and hit the road for Hanoi.

When we first reached the city, Anna asked me what I thought. This is what I saw:



I didn't know what to say, so I just said the first thing that popped into my head, "It looks like Mexico." And that seems true. However, when we got more into the heart of the city, it got a bit more unique. Especially due to the over crowed streets full of scooters, shops and pedestrians.



I particularly liked the way that they hang wires there:



The first stop was the Taylor to get my suit sized up. For some reason, it's hard to find a suit that fits me off the rack there.

I'm not sure if their tape measure was even big enough for me.



Before we could even get home, I got to witness my first scooter accident. There were many more like that to come. I'm surprised I never saw a death...that I know of. Looked at Anna and said, "Honey, you are never going to get on those things in this city again."

After time in Hanoi, I started to get used to the scooters. I even got to ride on the back of one a few times.

Anna and mother-in-law on the scooter behind me



And later, I even took my life into my hands and drove myself.



Being my first time to every drive one of these things, I naturally didn't use any helmets or protective gear. Later, I drove it to have diner with Anna's friends and her dad sat on the back. That was an adventure for both him and me.

Luckily, I didn't cause any face marring scars before our second wedding.

When I first arrive at Anna's parent's house, I was taken back. She told me it was small. But it was...well...small.

This is not a part of the house, this is the entire house.



Sure, it's small and cozy, but it's nice and clean. Anna grew up sharing the bed behind the stairs and tv when she was young. Moving to the loft when she got older.

One of the things that came as a pleasant surprise to me was Mia Da. Basically, sugar cane water. Trust me, it's better tasting than it sounds.

Just don't stick your hands in there.



I also enjoyed the breakfast of choice, Pho Bo (beef noodles).

Not what you'd think was breakfast, but still good.



Of course, I think I could do a whole separate blog post of the food. I know this sounds very "Chevy Chase" of me, but after three days I felt like asking, "Do you have anything besides Asian food?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jared,
my fellow hawaiian serven' brother, it looks like you've made the next big life step by tien' the not-Congrats. I still enjoy reflecting on the good ol mtc & mission memeries. You and magiver made quite a team. i went back in january and had a blast. Life is funny, your in vietnam and i'm in idaho. Which is mare forien? well i think you win that one but not by much i must say. do you remember Elder neilson "Hello, my name is Elder neilson. I'm from Idaho falls"my wife keeps a blog you can find the link on stickneys blog. i dont blog, i'd rather be playing gitar hero.
aloha and mahalo Jeremy

Allison said...

K time for more blogging please!!! Get busy!!

Jared said...

I'm with you on Guitar Hero, Jeremy. Good stuff. So good to hear that you are doing well. I feel for you in Idaho... I thought I had it rustic here in Guam...