Thursday, August 02, 2007

Hoi An, Ahoy...!

We drove from Hue to Hoi An in a few hours. Along the way I saw many buildings that were still in shambles from the war.

War-torn Homes

Sure, a fixer-uper. But there's a great PTA in this neighborhood.




The whole time I kept on thinking of what kind of communist slogan they could use to justify such neglect. How about, "Try communism! Let us do nothing for you too!"

We got into Hoi An just as the sun was going down. Since we were to leave Hoi An the next morning, this meant that we once again were going to get short changed by our tour agency.

Thanks to our previous griping, we did get a night time walking tour of the village. After about three minutes I knew what the local specialty was.

Lamps
Lamps



Hoi An is a very old town and has kept much of it's old charm. I especially liked the street signs with TLC carved into each one.
Street Sign

I may not know where I am still, but at least I know that I'm somewhere.



After more walking, sweating and feeling like Danny Devito's gym socks, we got to take some well deserved rest sipping some juice that I cannot identify by the sign.

Since I can't read the sign, I pointed to the longest name insuring I'd get the most for my money.



After that we had no energy left and nowhere else to go if we did. We retreated to our hotel ready for a day in Da Nang.

1 comment:

Allison said...

ok it's time to post again!!!