Tuesday, September 14, 2004

The 411 Potpourri...

I've done mostly nothing but pictures on my blog for the last few posts and I decided it was time for me to put up some real content for a change. The only problem I face is that I seem to be at a lull for content. I think this will be more like an info potpourri.

I have finally firmed up my schedule for the semester and am getting to the level where I can figure out where I am supposed to be when. As you can see if you look at the site, I have many hours of my day taken up by school, the RA stuff and my tutoring stuff.

A time consumer that won’t show up on there is my calling. I am now the Ward Membership Clerk. I think I will like the calling. Right now we are in a brand new ward that has no members or callings. My first Sunday there was only about 5 students. The next week about double that. We just had the 4th Sunday as a flock and we are fleshing out. We have most callings planned or sent out. We will be setting up our office computers and requesting records soon. Today I got my school ID set up as my key card for the Stake Center. I also can open some rooms in the GCB and the Hale with it. It’s nice to have power…

I have been spending a lot of time with Anna these last few days. I think many people are starting to think that we are dating. We’re not. I do like to pretend we are, mostly for the reaction she gets. I also have spent a lot of time with my ex, Fei. I’m sure others have wondered what is going on with us as well. Again, nothing. Today my roommate, JD, walked up to me and said,
”I know why you can’t get married now.”

“Uh…because I am hopeless?”

“No, because you are too much of a nice guy.”


What he meant was that there are some good things that God would like to have me do and help out with that I couldn’t do married; such things as my calling in my singles ward and working with my friends who are taking the discussions. If I were married, I’d not be in those places or hanging out with those people. I am not 100% convinced that’s all there is to it, but it’s a nice and flattering concept.

Speaking of people who are doing good things helping the Lord, I got a long letter from Jessica the other day and a supplemental e-mail today. I think the best part of the whole thing was a note that she left on the back of the envelope that read,
”You really really really suck! I went to lay down and take a nap today but I couldn’t because of YOU! I was so tired too and I planed for it and everything. Why have you done this to me? You have taken from me my one joy!”

I guess you have to understand that she loves naps. When she was getting ready for her mission I told her not the be THAT sister. You know, the one that sounds so great and active, but comes home after lunch and takes an hour or two nap on pros. hours. When I told her missionaries are not supposed to do that she was shocked, “You mean they really can’t do that?!”

“Uh, yeah. No napping unless you take it out of your lunch or dinner hour…and only one hour.”

“Really?!”


“Now that you know, you have no excuse, don’t be THAT sister!”

I guess it worked… *evil laugh*

She also is becoming very trained in the gospel. In her last email she said,
”I've also started teaching the discussions in my sleep. I think it's scaring my comp. But I must be pretty powerful because when I wake up they’re all converted!… I'm trying to keep myself from counting down. Everyone says that it will go by really fast......I think their full of crap.......right now I'm just trying to make it to tomorrow but Sister Ellertson is really making that possible for me.”

Kudos to her - that was actually funny. But yes, the time does go fast, but only in hindsight! If you wait for it to roll by, it takes longer. Just don’t worry about it and get to work.

At this point, I have to stop my long and boring blog (I wouldn’t have gotten this far if I were you…) because I have to get ready for “Study Group”. That’s my code word for my tutor job. I have laundry in the machine that is probably still wet and has been discarded on the floor like used Kleenex to make way for the next guy’s clothes to toss around to the point of moistness. I have to get it and run to dinner so as not to be late for work.

If you are still here and haven’t noticed, I have updated my site again and added more pictures on my Picture Pages.

No comments: