Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Stats all, folks...

Classes have started now. As per usual, going to school here would be great if it wasn't for all the pesky classes that get in the way.

On my first day, my statistics teacher had us read and discuss this:

About a centry ago, statesman Benjamin Disraeli famously said, "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statisitics." It has also been said that "figures don't lie; liars figure." Historian Andrew Lang said that some people use statistics "as a drunken man uses lampposts-for support rather than illumination." Political cartoonist Don Wright encourages us to "bring back the mystery of life: lie to a pollster." Author Frankin P. Jones wrote that "statisitcs can be used to support anything-especially statisticians." In Esar's Comic Dictionary we find the definitnion of a statistician to be "a speicalist who assembles figures and then leads them astray."


So after reading this, I said to myself, "Suzan, why is it that they spend all hour explaining to you why statistics is nothing more than the worst form of lies, then make us take the class!?" If you ask me, which I doubt you will, it should be against the honor code to make us take a class that requires us to read cuss words and participate in lies.

I might just drop it and take something more moral like Explorations in Human Sexuality which is offered in two sections every semester...I hear it has a lab...

No comments: