Sunday, June 25, 2006

Commencement...

So, ya, it finally happened. I graduated. I don’t know if I’ll go to get an advanced degree. I know that I am feeling very done with school.

MiniMe and Me at graduation

MiniMe and Me at graduation


Commencement was pretty standard. I was able to get some honor tassels from Upsilon Pi Epsilon (UPE), but I had to wear the tie tack I got from Phi Kappa Phi as they wanted me to buy my honor stuff. The program failed to mention my UPE membership. Still, I felt smart enough as it did say that I was Magna Cum Laude.

There was only one person in my school that had Suma Cum Laude. He deserved it. Then I looked through the schools that were graduating with me. There were a few Suma’s. Before long I noticed what their majors were. If I hadn’t graduated from “Exercise and sports” with a 3.9 or higher I’d be worried. And the sad part, most of that class didn’t even have a 3.5 or higher!

It was funny how worried the administration was about the graduates and their family. It was heavily emphasized that we were to be stone silent the entire time. This is part of the letter that was sent out:

Dear Graduate:

As you know, graduation is a special time when we come together to honor your achievement and to honor you as University Alumni.
...
During past Graduation Services, we have experienced problems with some graduates, family members and friends behaving in ways that detract from the honor, dignity, and reverence, of this solemn service. Such actions and distractions are also inappropriate and contrary to enjoying the Spirit that accompanies the Lord’s Special Witness who will be in attendance with us.
...
However, the following behaviors are not appropriate for the solemnity of this occasion:
  • Gestures, swaggers (I assume that "strutting" is OK then), and other demonstrative actions on the part of the graduates when their name is read and as they walk across the stage to be awarded their diploma
  • Screaming, yelling or chanting graduates’ names
  • Overzealous applause designed to draw attention of others
  • Kazoos, party horns, or any other noise maker
  • Posters, signs or any other obstruction; and,
  • Any conduct inappropriate for an LDS chapel.



I was tempted to swagger and/or bring my lucky kazoo, but some dreams must never come to pass.

There was one part where people cheered and President Shumway stood there silently, with a stern look on his face. I felt like I was in some primary class.

Afterwards, I made my way out toward the gauntlet of instructors. Once I cleared that traffic jam, I found my family in my section. I got covered in leis. One particularly bulky item was my Ramen simen lei from my bro-in-law. At least I know I won’t starve in Guam.

Freshly Leid Graduate

Freshly Leid Graduate



I went back to my house, packed, cleaned and left for good. Since I was flying out that night, I didn’t bother changing. Also, everything I owned was crammed into various boxes and suitcases, so I had no idea where my regular clothes was anyway. I looked a bit odd wandering around the beach with my family in a suit.

By the end of that very long day, I was dropped off at the airport for my flight to Sydney. Still in the same suit that I began my mission in, I disembarked my student life and entered the professional realm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so awesome! Way to go! I'm so excited for you and what your future holds. Good luck and keep us posted on how your new job is going.