Sunday, January 20, 2008

Guam's Top Ten...

I've been here for going on two years. In that time, I've been able to get a real feel for what makes Guam both great and grievous. First list, Guam's Top Ten.

  • 10. Weather
  • 9. Casual
  • 8. Travel
  • 7. Something Going On
  • 6. Local Food
  • 5. Proximity
  • 4. Friendly
  • 3. Culture
  • 2. Scuba Diving
  • 1. Natural Beauty


10. Weather

Some people may hate frequent rain, storm-like weather and cloudy skies. But not me. It seems that there is rain when it gets too hot and sunshine when you need some outdoor fun. I admit, it's a bit hot and humid for me sometimes, but a good sweat is often just what I need.

9. Casual

Sure, I have to wear a white shirt and tie to work. But if I go to a birthday party or even a wedding, shorts and slippahs will do the trick. And even then I'm still slightly over dressed comparatively.

8. Travel

You can see the entire island at once from the airplane. It's easy to feel trapped in the middle of nowhere from time to time. If you wanna go somewhere exotic, or even just somewhere else it's never too hard or far away. In three hours I could be in any of 5 or more countries, and all for less than $500 on a costly flight.

7. Something Going On

You'd be surprised how many kids say that there is nothing to do in Guam. If you like to sit around, that will feel true. Anybody motivated to have a good time will have no shortage of fun. There's hotel road with 24-hour life for locals and tourists alike. Boonie Stomping through the jungle, swimming in crystal clear reefs, Geocaching or anything else you imagine doing.

6. Local Food

I thought that I'd be eating basically the same food here as I had in Hawaii. Sure, there are some similarities, but the differences were nothing but satisfying surprises. Red rice, Keleguan, and Finideni (don't check my spelling) are just some of the best things that I could describe. But, any attempt to do so would be a far cry from the justice those delicious delights deserve. You'll just have to visit me here and let me take you to a grand fiesta.

5. Proximity

It's refreshing when a 5 mile drive feels like a long commute. When you stay on island long enough you get so used to things being close you can't image it any other way. One can circle the island in a few hours drive with time to sight see along the way. At most, it will take me one hour to get anywhere I want on island - during rush hour.

4. Friendly

Despite cultural differences and misunderstandings, interaction with most locals is friendly. When I first arrived here, I was clearly a new outsider coming in. In a place with small communities like this, feeling like an outcast is usually the norm. Rather, I felt like I was instantly accepted and welcomed home.

3. Culture

Much like the exotic Hawaiians, Guam's indigenous people, the Chamorro, have a rich heritage and are proud of it. I'll never understand Chamorro, but I can stand in awe of those that do.

2. Scuba Diving

I have been scuba diving a lot here. Not only is Guam just about the cheapest place in the world to scuba dive, but also the best. A walk out from any number of a hundred places and you'll have a dive that other people wait a lifetime to experience.

1. Natural Beauty

Like any tropical locale, there is never a shortage of natural beauty. Just about anywhere you are on the island has something nice to look at. Whether tropical greenery or azure oceans you'll have a hard time getting used to seeing a glimpse of paradise every day.

2 comments:

Allison said...

That was fun to read! I wish I could come visit NOW! I hate cold weather!!! I'm not much for rain or humidity either. I hated Hilo for it's rain! Would Guam still be a good place for me? I'm freezing here!!!

Jared said...

Yeah, if you don't like the cold, this is your stop! It rains less than Hilo. If Oahu wasn't too much rain for your, than Guam will be your speed.