Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Families Can Study Together Forever...

...through Anna Bodine's plan...

So, the other night we had a married couple in our branch over for diner. He is a professor at the University of Guam (UOG). After dazzling him with my hi-tech lifestyle, he made the off-hand remark that if I only had a Masters he could offer me a job. I'm sure it was mostly in jest, but that moment something stuck in Anna's mind.

Anna has now decided that it's time for me to get my MBA. Ironically, I had just barely paid off my student loans from my bachelor's degree last week. Time to crawl back into debt, I guess.

It may seem that Anna is solely thinking long term and preparing us for financial security down the road. Well, yes, that too. But tonight her true and foremost motive came out.

Anna is supposed to be getting her Certified Public Accountant (CPA) credentials. She should be half way done and have 2 of the 4 tests completed. Rather, she's only studied a handful of the times she said she would and is not even starting to apply for the testing dates. She quickly gets bored after minutes of studying and really can't seem to motivate herself. I've tried everything I can think of to motivate her. Cooking, dish washing, free time, plenty of space, even bribes have not done the trick. She's has asked me to sit there and watch her study, but not talk or move because that will distract her. No matter how much you love someone, that gets old, real fast.

As soon as this whole MBA idea came up, she's had a quickness in her step. Every day she spends five minutes on the subject with my trying to push it along. Today she pulled out a stack of books to prepare me for the GMAT entrance exam that I have to take first. She got my chair all ready and couldn't wait for me to sit there and study with her. To her dismay, I had some things to do and no sense of urgency for the test, so I declined the offer to start. She then went back to unmotivated, reluctant study-girl.

This whole time, all she seems to be able to focus on are ways to get me to study with her. I think that if I were to study in the UOG library, she'd probably have me put off the MBA. I hope she actually finishes her CPA by the time I get my Masters. If not, I'll have no choice but to become "Dr. Jared." Could you imagine me a doctor? "Please, call me Dr. Jared." Now that's an odd sounding combination of words...

1 comment:

Allison said...

Anna sounds like a girl from my own heart!!!