Sunday, February 17, 2008

I Married My Mom...!?

It's now a bit over one year that I have been married to Anna. And I have to say, it's been great. But, over that time, I have had discovery after discovery that led me to one very disturbing conclusion. That old adage about a guy marrying a girl like his mother has unfortunately seemed to manifest itself in my life.

Want a list? Here we go.

  • Naturally black hair
  • Talks to herself, even when others can hear it
  • Would rather sit quietly in the car alone than turn on the radio
  • Practical to a fault
  • Has a black thumb - accidentally kills more plants than successfully grows
  • Has never burned a CD
  • Goes on mad cleaning sprees occasionally and brings you along - like it or not
  • Passive Aggressive
  • The instant something goes wrong, instinctively yells out the name of her spouse
  • Skeptical of just about everything
  • Occasionally is seen "exercising" in the bedroom in a manner that looks more like an outdated 50's dance
  • Her jokes are not "funny haha" but rather "funny Hmmm"
  • Facts are only relevant when they support your preconceived notions
  • When trying to yell something a far distance, the sound just gets higher in pitch - neither one can be heard from a distance (except by animals)
  • Believes not all wives's tales are true, just the ones she grew up with


I could name more if I took some more time. Don't take me the wrong way, I love all of these things about Anna (except the cleaning spree). And there are some things both have in common that anybody can appreciate.

  • Loving
  • Caring
  • Sincere
  • Honest
  • Trustworthy
  • Understands me
  • Loves me


This is not to say that I'm going Oedipal or anything like that. Just one of those funny quirks of life that I have stumbled into. I've asked Anna to tell me in what ways I'm like her dad. The only one she could think of was that we both like Hi-tech stuff. Well, at least I won't have to be freaked out by her accidentally calling me "daddy" one day...

2 comments:

Allison said...

That was fun to read! Good job!

Unknown said...

Too funny...