Saturday, January 17, 2009

Chimmi-Chunkies and Mashidodos...

My wife has been encouraging me to blog more. And frankly, I have had problems with motivation. And when I do think of good things, I often forget them before I get a chance to blog. So, at the risk of getting to know my couch better, I'm going to blog about Anna. :)

I don't think I've gone one whole day with Anna where she hasn't made me laugh. Her humor is not like mine at all. She's funniest when she doesn't want to be. It's not that I'm laughing at her, but that she is just a funny person.

Since English is her second language, she sees the language in a new light. One of my favorite moments was when she wanted to say that something sucked, but she was confused on the syntax. "Man, those guys are suck."

When she wants to find a way to describe someone who is grumpy and easily agitated she will say they are being all "grumbly."

When we are going to eat a chimichanga its actually a "chimmi-chunkie." My sister, Lacey, has a thing in her house where they call mashed potatoes "mashidodos," which Anna and I have adopted.

Fortunately I am the one known living person to speak Annaiese, a rare Anna-based dialect. Had I not shared this insight with you, you would most certainly be lost in our home. Nowhere else would you hear a sentence like, "Honey, don't be all grumbly, but these chimmi-chunkies and mashidodos are suck." And no where else would you find someone that completely understands.

6 comments:

Allison said...

That was seriously the cutest post EVER!!! I would LOVE having Anna around. I love her innocence. My Asian companion was much like her and it was so fun and funny to be around her while she tried to make her new language work. So cute!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jared, I was trying to find a Guamanian based blog, and went through pages and pages of boring military and governmental sites before I just skipped a few pages of Google blog search, and found yours! Look who's edging you out on Google! It really isn't fair. Those hardly count as real blogs. I was waxing poetic about Guam, having lived there as a young child in the 60's, smack dab in the middle of the Viet Nam war. My Father built a restaurant there. I'll have to ask Mom what town it was in, but it was a Fjord's Smorgette. Funny, huh? I'm trying to find a way and a reason to head back over there sometime. In the meantime, enjoy it for me! I'll keep up with you via blog. It looks and sounds like my memories are accurate, happily. I'll check in later, and finish catching up with your adventures on Guam. Thank you! ~ Debbi

Anonymous said...

Funny...we call chimichangas "chimi-chums" in my house (courtesy of 3 year-old Sydney).

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbi,

When I lived in Ukiah, California for a few months in 1969, there was a Fjord's Smorgette there. Ukiah is about 100 miles N. of San Francisco in Mendocino County.

Unknown said...

My family ran the Fjord's in Ukiah in the 60's and early 70's. We went over to Guam for three weeks in 1968 to help get the Fjord's there started (it was in Sinajana)I had just gotten my drivers license and got to drive to the airport every day to get the produce. Yeah, I remember seeing the B-52s going out every morning and then back in the evening.

Russ Hobby

djdjken said...

Hi Debbie & Russ,

I have two postcards of fjord's Smorg-ettes. One is a photo of the Merced, Ca location and the other is of the Ukiah, CA location. I'd love to purchase/aquire photos of of any of the other former fjord's locations if thery're available anywhere, including Sinajana, Guam. The back of my photo postcards give the other locations including Portland, Oregon. Did all of the locations have the same slanted roof building style as the ones in Merced & Ukiah did? I would absolutely love to find out more information and stories about fjord's Smorgettes. I loved eating at the Ukiah location in the 60's & 70's. By the 80's fjord's in Ukiah had different owners and a different way of doing things. It eventually went out of business sometime in the mid 80's and has been an eyesore ever since.

Please, Debbie &/or Russ send me any information and/or stories you have about any of the fjord's Smorg-ettes. ~ Thank you!