Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Pied Piper of Hamburgers...

Is it just me, or is this blog turning into a exercise journal?

Anyway, I noticed another thing in my life that I think must be a result of my exercise efforts.

When I was younger and skinnier, I was the kid's fun guy. For what ever reason, children always wanted to play with me. I was Uncle Fun and my sister, Lacey, was Aunt Boring to my nieces and nephews. On more than one occasion I could simply sit on the couch, motionless, and the kids would just crawl all over me like a piece of playground equipment.

On my mission, it was the same thing. Even though I was a visitor and didn't know these kids personally, they just took to me. And that has not really changed over the years. But I noticed that about the same time I got married, that stopped. I thought it was that I was getting old, or maybe now that I was married I was too much of an "adult" to be fun.

In the time that I have been loosing some weight recently, there has been a resurgence of kids wanting to play with me again. Toddlers that previously would run the other way from me at church are not scared of me any more. Just this last week I attended a Geocaching event. There were some 7-10 yr old kids there. Before I knew it, I was their new best friend. I don't think I acted any different, I didn't feed them or anything. They must have just decided that I wasn't some scary human blob any more.

It's nice that kids are not so scared or uncomfortable around me now. In a year or so, Anna and I hope to have a child of our own. The last thing I want is be there at the birth of our child and have it cry in horror at the first sight me. But then again, if my child is afraid of me, then I wouldn't be able to change the diapers, give the baths and other chores... hm. Maybe I'll deep fry a Snickers bar for lunch today...

No comments: