Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Big Promotion...Right...?

I've been keeping this on the "down low" until now in case it didn't happen or I would do something to mess it up. But now it's happening and I am free to speak.

Late last year a co-worker of mine, Joe, in a different department told me that he is now looking for his replacement (he is retiring). And one person he had his eye on was me. His department is Facilities Management and Project Management. Basically maintenance and construction.

When I was a kid, I used to do some side jobs with my dad. He was a finish carpenter. He was the sole employee of a contractor. On smaller tasks my dad did the work himself. On larger jobs he hired Mexicans or specialized contractors and would oversee the work. When I worked with him it was tuff work. Sadly, it was probably the most exercise I ever got as a kid. And as much as I liked the money, I really didn't like the work.

That was one of the reasons why I chose the work I did. I got the education and then a job in radio where there was no fear of breaking a sweat. I transitioned into computers again comfortable in the knowledge that I had an inside job. And now someone wants to take me out of that?

Well, truth be told, I was not so sure I would want the job at first. But I learned that it's more about managing the work and people. My new mentor says we are in the business of people, not buildings. That sold me. Well, that and there is a serious promotion involved.

So I took this special $900 talent assessment test last month (at the Church's expense). The results must have been positive because shortly after that, I got the call and was asked to come aboard.

On Monday it was announced that I would be the new protege. Joe will retire in about a year, so I will spend the next year at his side trying to soak everything up like a sponge. While doing this, I will still be fulfilling my full time responsibilities as the only IT guy in Guam. And until Joe leaves and I go solo, my pay will remain unchanged. Yeah, this is an investment for me.

Six months ago I was speaking with my niece, Sammie, about my work. She honestly thought that I did construction already. I am pretty sure an old post about a one time side job I did gave her this impression. Or do I have that vibe? Am I just destined to do this? My dad might have had me work with him over those horrible summers knowing something because he never really did get his money's worth. Is construction in my DNA? Well, either way, it's about to become so. Watch out world, Jared The Builder is about to be let loose!

No comments: