Tuesday, December 22, 2009

You Can't Go Home Again, But Home Can Come To You...

Since I have left my childhood home for my mission, I hadn't spent more than a couple of years at the same home. On my mission I moved every couple months. I went home for just under two years before moving back to Hawaii to go to school. Then I moved every semester or two. After that I moved into an apartment. So, it's nice to finally have a home of my own that I plan to stay in for a while.

There's something nice about being the master of your castle. But at the same time, there's a lot of responsibility and work. I worked full time on the house when I first moved in. Then I started my new department at work and found all of my energy go in that direction. Then, I got some added help.

My parents made their first trip to Guam to visit Anna and me for Christmas and New Year's. It's always good to have family, but I was a bit worried that I wouldn't find enough things to do for the two weeks they planned on staying. Being in my first house and needing all the help I could get in home ownership the down time we would have had became occupied with home making chores.

There's a host of things planned for my parents for fun as well. So, rather than list them all here, I'll post them in pieces as they happened.

There's something odd about being the one who is hosting your parents at your house for the first time. It is like crossing an imaginary line. Up till now, when we talk about going home, we mean where we grew up. Now, we have completed the transition and home is where we are right now.

No comments: