Saturday, October 11, 2003

Playing It Dence...

No, Fez, dating IS prostitution. Only, you don't always get what you paid for.
- Steven Hyde "That '70s Show" (1998)


Ever have someone hit on you, and you dont like the person so you brush it off like you just dont get it? Ya, me too. Its a fail safe. She thinks you are dence and pretty thick in the head, but no feelings are hurt. I often just take undersireable advances and play that game. The girl inevetable thinks that I am just stupid, but yet, she is all the stupider (i know...) for thinking it. Two nights ago, I came out the ultimate stupid one...

I got a call from a girl named Erika. She invited me to go to a guitar performance in the auditorium. I wanted to see it anyway, so i was there. Half way through, they broke and showed a homemade video to promote the upcomming Fall Ball. I have considered going. I have a few girls on my list that i thought about asking. I came real close to asking a girl named Angie Lambert. She is a cool gal that is always fun and she hadnt been asked yet. Just as I thought i might break down and ask, the video ends and the MC (Glen) who is a freind of mine gets on the mic, "There is a girl here who thinks that I dont want to go to the fall ball. It's just that I dont want to go to the fall ball with anyone but her....Angelina Lambert, will you go to fall ball with me?"
Well, there went my idea. But alas! She wasnt there! How funny is that!? Everyone felt sorry for him, I on the other hand was cracking up. I'm not the sensitive type.

Fifteen min later into annother student performance Erika leans over to me and says, "Actually, do you want to go?"
"Naw, not quite yet. I think that Shem is going to perform again."
"No, i meant, did you want to go to Fall Ball?"
It sounded to me more like a servey question more than anything else. "Naw, not really. I mean, it could be cool, but $50 for one date and no trasportation to Honolulu from here..."
"Well, I'll pay for myself."
Then it hit me. Ohhhh! She meant did I want to go to Fall Ball with her! Uh. Ya know. I didnt want to say this, but no. Not really anyway. Even if she does pay for herself (which i cant let happen), it's gonna cost me. And how are we going to get there? What kind of attire is it? Will I have to dance? Will there be a good night kiss? if so, does it have to be from her? All important questions.

I couldnt just back out, so I did the noble thing and told her to wait for my reply....

I made good on it. I went home and made her a cd. I DJ'd the cd, like i was on the air. I miss doing that kind of stuff. I made it all one long track, about 76 min. I spoke between each song, so she couldnt track forward and she could only shuffle from song to song, which still takes forever, incase she misses something i say important inbetween. The idea was that I asked her to the ball. She complained that no one has asked her out on a date, she always had to. I thought since i had to go now, i might as well cowboy up and turn the tables.
When I woke up, there were 9 pages taped to my window. It was a long responce. The word 'yes' was taped to the wall outside, so i had to go get it.

Being a nice guy sucks. Maybe I should have played dence longer.
"I'll pay for myself."
"Oh yeah? Who are you going with?"

No comments: