Monday, May 09, 2005

Double Dipping...

So yesterday was Mother's Day. I got her a beautiful orchid to wear on her dress in church. I also got something that would last, an ice cream scoop. Not just any scoop, though. This was the best kind of scoop in the world! It's known as an ice cream spade. To me, it looks more like a miniature shovel. How tiring is it to just get those darn title dallops out of rock hard frozen delight? How frustrating is it working up a sweat to get a mellon baller to fill a bowl big enough to make the effort worth it? This family knows ice cream. We eat it a lot. We don't joke about it.

To my shock and horror, we had just run out of my favorite ice cream (Bunny Tracks) the day before. We didn't have any left of any other flavor either. I had to make sure that not only would my Mother's Day gift get use but that I filled my gut with that life giving desert. I called both of my sisters that live in the state. To each, independently, I asked a favor. Each promised to bring enough ice cream not only for my parents and ourselves, but themselves as well. First Ladawn came over and she brought two whole batches of ice cream both of great flavors. We ate to our content. Just as we were finishing and it looked as if they were about to leave Wendy and her clan came over with their offering. They had brought over four half gallons, each of different flavors. Oh, we were truly blessed by the Ice Cream Gods. The Deity can be so kind.

Both of my sisters were not too happy with my attempt at double dipping. On the other hand, not a soul that wanted ice cream went without. Really, I was just covering my bases. My two brother-in-laws not only seemed to understand, but I think that they were proud of me in some way. I think the best thing about having family around is that when you mooch off of them, even if it's to a far greater degree than necessary, you never have to feel guilty.

I guess this would be a good time to thank my sister for letting me drive their Cadillac while I am home. Now all I need to do is marry the daughter of a rich oil tycoon and I'm in business.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like you are good at using your resources! Sounds like you had a good day with your family! With all that ice cream you should have lots of great times ahead! Eat up!!!

Anonymous said...

Let me check if my parents' land has some oil, OK? :D :) :p

Anonymous said...

hahaha...
have a good day!

Becky said...

Alas that "daughter of oil tycoon" is not my title. But I hear that there are some of those in Texas. Try there.

"The Doublemeat is doublesweet."-Buffy