Friday, May 13, 2005

Roots...

This week I am staying with my grandparents in St. George, Utah. Don't worry, I won't change the blog name to "Sleepy In St. George" or anything. This morning I spent some time talking with my grandma about some interesting stories of our ancestors. I have to share one.

I come from a line of McGeniths of Irish decent. Back in the day where you would actually care about what goes on in Ireland my heritage was in control. There was an aging father with two sons and he was not sure which of his sons would inherit his kingdom. Once, while attempting to conquer a city, the King promised his two sons that which ever one of them first touched ground on the other side of the opposing citie's walls would become the next king.

The two brothers gave each other wry smiles with the assumption that they would be victor. The both took off in hopes of being first. One brother was well ahead of the other. As the second brother accepted the fact that he was behind the other he decided to take drastic measures. He pulled out his sword. Rather than lob it at his brother, he cuts his own hand off. He then picked up his detached hand and threw it over the wall. The hand landed on the other side, touching down far before the other brother and securing the kingdom to the more creative brother.

I don't know if I'd go to that extreme, but hey, he received many "hand" maidens for his efforts. To this day the crest bears a red hand for obvious reasons. I wonder, if I had a family crest, what would I put on it? Any recommendations? Maybe a red mouth always open...

7 comments:

a man from Saipan said...

That is a great story! I dont' think I would not go that far, but give him a hand for being creative.

Anonymous said...

St. George!!! E is not to far away, in fact she is in mesquite (well not quite back in the country yet but soon) Yeah that story is pretty cool though I would suggest a flaming tongue... I shouldnt have to say why.

Cool Dad said...

Welcome to Dixie, loved the story. Some people are too smart for their own good.

Anonymous said...

Dixie? You must either live here or have close family here if you know enough to call it that. Which is it?

Su Chong said...

Friday the 13th!!

Anyways, just dropping by to say "Hi!" (Hey, that rhymes!)

BTW, your longboard misses you...I think it's homesick...
I've been using it 2 minutes, 3 times a day, everyday for 3 weeks (except Sundays), I think it's a pretty good prescription...I guess the results will show when you get back...;)
Till then, stay alive!

PS. By now you should have been able to tell that my comment has nothing to do with your post..except for the fact that it's Friday the 13th...=)

"With our powers combined, we can take over the world!...*evil laugh!*..."
-sumeyou-

Cool Dad said...

I live here and love it here.

Fei said...

I don't do either, but I still knew to call it Dixie. What does that mean?