Saturday, June 25, 2005

Successfully Failing...

I have said a number of times that the one goal I had for this summer was to get bored. I now have due to a lack options for passing time thanks to Darth Hijack and his family visiting coupled with fewer hours available for me to fill in at my radio stations.

So, in a way, I have finally been successful. I have finally become bored. The problem is that this brings about new problems. Now that I am bored, what do I do to pass the time? I know that blogging sounds like a good option, but unless you’re Faye, you can only blog for so long. With out my movie room, computer or money, I had to become creative. Instead I think I have a problem on my hands now.

This problem stems from my boredom and finally giving up on any attempt at getting married. This feeling of failure, disappointment, and loneliness has brought me to doing something that I’m not very proud of. I’m not so sure that it’s something that I need to talk to my bishop about. Even if it is, I still think that it’s a bit too embarrassing to directly admit to. I started it a few days ago, mainly to see what it was like and to pass the time. Now, I find myself looking for chances to do it more. I even think about it when I am out in public (but don’t admit to it). At this point, I fear it has become a habit. Now it’s gonna be hard to break this habit.

I realized I had a problem yesterday. I was in my room alone and I heard my mom coming. I tried to hide what I was doing but she walked right in on me. I didn’t know what to say.

I guess I should stop beating around the bush. If I don’t tell my friends about it, I can’t count on their support to help me get through this. It’s embarrassing, but it’s time to come clean.

I have been…scrapbooking.

I’m so ashamed! I’m sorry. I have let every man in my family down. I don’t know if there is any coming back from this. It’s not my fault, though. I had to do this.

You see, every guy I know has had his girlfriend/wife either help him on or do his mission scrapbook. Don’t label me as chauvinistic because of this. I don’t think it’s only a woman’s job. It is my memories after all. But it is a fact that girls possess a flair for this that us clumsy men lack - myself in particular. After over 4 years of being off my mission, I decided that I’m not going to get any help on this scrapbook. If I ever want my stacks of pictures, letters and memorabilia to take any form I have to take action alone.

If I had my computer, movie room, or more hours at work I would not be even thinking of going down this road. Either way, there you have it. I did successfully fulfill my goal of becoming bored, but in the shadow of this victory I am failing my manhood by scrapbooking. Whether or not I finish it, at least I’m working on it.

In hind sight, I need to start setting better goals. In fact, that’s my first new goal – to start setting better goals...which I am currently failing by making scrapbooking one of them.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I were you I'd just be glad I had free time on my hands to scrapbook! I wish I was you! If I could only sit and scrapbook I'd be so happy! You are so lucky! You better enjoy it while it lasts. Once you are married and have kids all your free time will be gone and you'll think back on this as the good old days!

Anonymous said...

Beth! Thanks! You are a sweetie!

Jared said...

Ya, Allison, you are right, having this much time is a blessing, but you have to admit, scrapbooking for hours on end gets very tedious. I'd rather be working.

Beth, I don't know much about standard scrapbooking regulations, but they are perfectly square pages, so I guess they are 12X12's. If you have some good ideas so I don't end up with 50 pages of white with pics I'd appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

Yeah I don't know any guys who would rather be scrapbooking. I think it's great that you are doing it though. It will save your wife lots of time. She'll love ya for it unless she's in love with scrrapbooking and then she'll be mad at you for doing it all! You just can't win I guess! 12X12 is the best paper. My opion on pages is less is more. Sometime people put to much stuff on the page and you can't even see the picture. Plus the stuff can cost lots of money so the less you do to it the better in more than one way. I have lots of good ideas but I just can't manage to get my ideas on paper! Everyone calls me for ideas on creative things and I've got them but I never get around to doing them myself. Maybe someday when my kids are grown!

E.Marie said...

HAHAHA you Phsycho... well your better then me all my memories are in a box. Enjoying your summer???

Rare Insights said...

Scrapbooking...I've seen some of it done at various young women and Relief Society functions. Always an onlooker. That hobby can get freakin' expensive. I think the furthest I've ever gone was taping my friends' wedding announcements to a piece of paper and then slipping it into a page protector.

I'm a sad pathetic girl.

Well, kudos to you for actually doing it. My grand ideas of scrapbooking include a scanner, my box of pictures that I've accumulated over the years and a blank CD.

Way to go.