Monday, December 01, 2008

JaredFit...

This year I got my Christmas gift early. I asked Anna to get me WiiFit, which is just as much for her as me (ascetically).

If you are unfamiliar with this product, it's more than just another Nintendo game. It's a home workout program. It comes with a balance board that is also a scale. Each day you take a fitness test and measure your body mass index, weight and "WiiFit age." I also spend some time working out with WiiFit. It has yoga, strength training exercises, aerobic activities, and games. With all there is to do, I don't find myself getting bored too quickly.

Well, free plug for Nintendo aside, I really do like it. Anna let me use it early because Nintendo stuff flies off the shelves so I had to get it when it was there. And if I waited until Christmas the one she bought wouldn't be covered under store's 30 day warranty any more. If we had a bad one, we'd wait forever to get a manufacturer replacement. Since Anna wants a skinnier husband, I think it was easy for her to relent.

I have had the WiiFit for one week now. In that time, I have already lost more than 8 pounds! And this includes Thanksgiving Weekend! How's that for results?

I also like that the Wii seems to be on my side. The very first day we tried it out, Anna and I each set up our personal accounts and did our initial testing. The system said I had the physical prowess of a 22 year old (7 years younger). After it tested Anna it said she had a WiiFit age of 38 (13 years older)! Ha. Just further proof to all you skinny people out there that being heavier does not mean you are less healthy. Sometimes after Anna does a particularly bad job at something WiiFit will ask her if she has trouble walking and often trips.

Last night, when I passed the mark of losing 8 pounds it asked Anna if she noticed that I was getting more fit. It didn't just mention it, it actually asked her. And it asked her to reply on how my looks have changed. The options were 1)He looks skinnier 2)He looks more trim 3)He looks healthier and 4)He looks the same. Naturally, Anna selected that I look the same.

After she answered WiiFit was disappointed and suggested to Anna that she is just not paying enough attention to me. Truer words were never spoken. It's as if they custom made this game just for me.

I'm no 150 pound wonder yet, but at least I'm now moving in the right direction. I was hesitant to blog about this, because that would mean that you would expect to see this lean mean trimmer Jared soon. I don't like that pressure. But I have to say, I think it's nice to be loosing some pounds finally. And at the rate I'm going, I'll make my 100 pound wife, Anna, look fat any time now...that should be easy...

No comments: