Wednesday, November 05, 2003

Dorothy: Well Blanche is certainly taking her sister's novel better than I would. I would kill my sister Gloria if she ever wrote about my sex life.
Sophia: You would kill your sister over a pamphlet?

- The Golden Girls

My birthday came a touch early…9 days early to be precise. I am basing this on a certain gift I got early. Well, this isn’t the kind of gift that I actually OWN, but it’s one that will take the idle time I have and make life more fun. Ya, it’s called a girlfriend...well, sort of. I’ve read about them, I dreamt of them, I’ve even sung songs about them, and now it has happened to me.
To be fair, I did actually have one before, but that feels like a different time and a different me.
Ok, ok, enough with the anticipation. I’ll tell you who. Sadie Swenson (I know I’m gonna get it if I spelled the name wrong…). I have been in pursuit for some time. Alas, my work finally paid off. I actually told her that I was going to give up earlier tonight too.
I hope it won’t come back to bite me, but I have to tell you what happened Halloween. I dressed up as Zorro. It was nice. Talk about devenier. I had the cape, the thin black mustache (real ‘stache, painted by a sharpie), and the mask, completed by a sword. How could one resist me? Well, I make it possible.
Sadie (whom is a fellow RA) had to dress up also, since we all had to work on the Hale-ween “Spooktacualr” activity. (Ya, I thought it was cheesy too.) I got stuck with the face painting and Sadie was welcoming people at the door. Didn’t get to see her too much. She was dressed up as a man, a pirate with a drawn on goatee and sideburns. I’m not gay or anything, but I still thought she was cute looking…
I was doing a stellar job as a face painter. I was quite impressed with myself. I actually enjoyed it. The game room was closed down and we went to the dance where I sat and watch others look silly. I don’t do dance well, and especially if Sadie were to see me. She danced a bit with others and she is pretty good. If I could convince her to lead and I follow, it may work out for us to dance…
At midnight, we both went to lock up our respective Hales to lock them up. When I went to my room, I grabbed some M&M’s that I have been holding on to for some time, waiting for the right time to give them to her. Why?
She admitted to me (I tricked her into telling me the story) that some girls have a pact that they will give M&M’s to their friends if the hold hands with a guy, Ice Cream for a kiss and whole pizza party if they get married. I figured M&M’s were mild enough, yet reasonable.
As we were walking back I pulled them out of my pocket (nervous as usual) and said, “Here I got these for you.”
“Oh, good, thanks.”
She started to open them as I continued. “Want to know why?” I reached over and she…well…it was almost like a seizure but there was no foam at the mouth. We then actually fought over her hand for a few moments.
I lost.
She gave me the M&M’s back. I tired to give them back to her “free of charge” but no go. I kept them, in hopes that some day she may want them back. Hey, a guy’s gotta have hope.
Basically, she didn’t feel ready. I can't hold it against her. Dating is a scary thing. The story of my love life is going to be some light reading in the children's section at this rate.
I thought maybe I was going about it the wrong way, so I decided to change my tactics. She called me and I told her I was going to play hard to get and change the tide on her. Not long later I ate those words as she told me that she’d give me a shot!
I don’t know if I have really deserved it, but I got it. Now the challenge will be to make her not regret the decision. I don’t think that will be to hard…right?

No comments: