Thursday, April 14, 2005

Jared Genuine Draft...

In my stint as a professional blogger I have had many ideas come and go accross my plate. Some have sat in embryo for months before being published. Some have never made the final cut, others have been taken appart and used cannibalistically for other blogs. To make this period of school finals easier on myself, I thought it'd be interesting to just post a pile of old drafts that have yet to see the light of day. These are all real posts waiting to be published...until now...

Laptop Recall...


(Dec 05, 2004)

It is my professional oppinion that no woman should be allowed to own a computer, especially a laptop. Now I see why men felt women were not allowed to have driver licences or vote for many years. Call me sexist, but I'm right!

I am working on making a petition to both Dell and HP to recall every laptop that has been in the custody of a female - especially collage age ones!

As a computer guy, I spend at least 90% of my time working on the nice laptops in posession of these incompetant girls...


Devolution...


(Feb 11, 2004)

Last night was an interesting look into the psychie of our campus students. It confirmed to me that they are quick to de-evolve.

One fun fact about life here in Laie is that our power lines are made of the cheapest material that will conduct electricity. I can't confirm this, but I'm pretty sure the cables running from post to post along the Kamehameha are string with a cheap coper coating. My bronzed baby shoes would be a better conductor. As a result, the power goes off more than my missionary friend Jessica's biological clock.

I was so tired of the power going off on my beautiful computer that I went out and bought myself what's known as a UPS (Uninterupted Power Supply). Long story short, it's a backup battery for my computer. You would be suprized how many times I have used mine on this campus. It came in handy again last night.

I was watching my clean flicks version of "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgendy". Suddenly all goes black any my computer recomends that I shut it down. The power was out. Since there was not much else to do, I went out too.

It was like Planet of the Apes except after everyone had a good shave...


Ethnocentrism...


(Feb 25, 2005)

This semester has been one filled with much more busy work that I am accustomed to. The reason for this is the I am taking some GE's (General Education Classes) that I had left until now. This semester it's Biology 100 and Communications 110. Both are classes that take up more time than I am willing to give.

In Comm 110 we study intercultural communications. I have to admit, this is something that is valuable on a campus like BYU-Hawaii. Just recently, we have been covering the concept of ethnocentrism. In many ways, every culture thinks that thiers is the best. There are some that expirence a reversal where they suddenly feel that thier own culture is horrible and adhere to another. A good example of this is returned missionaries that go to Asia, Polynesian Islands, or South America. They come back saying how rude Americans are and how that form of life it actually supirior. This has not made them less ethnocentric, but rather has changed which culture they feel is supirior.

Although this has been an interesting subject for class, I had not had a chance to really expirence it until recently.

I was in the computer lab. A girl we will call "Ur" came to me for help on her computer. (Remind me to do a whole post about girls and thier laptops sometime.) When she came in I was listening to one of my guilty pleasures, Gschinghis Khan. Their biggest hit hails from the year I was born - 1979. They are viewed as a sort of German Village People. This was a whole new concept for Ur and she appeared to be kind of wierded out by it. She asked me, "What is that you are listening to?"

I told her, "Oh, it's the wonderful world of German Disco! This is Dschingis Khan. I guess you never heard of it before?"

"You mean to tell me that you are listening to German...


Now It's Personal...


(Mar 15, 2005)

A person that has likely changed my adult life more than anyone else recently left a post on her blog bout blogs being either public displays or private thoughts. Much of her post spoke about me. Amoung our campus circle, I started the blogging trend. Back in that day I only had 2 friends doing it. My first few posts were aimless and lacked structure. Faye liked them better. Well, back then we were much more closely tied emotionally. So she cared about me on a deeper level than the average "passer by". And since she and those other two friends were the only ones who read it, I opend up quite a bit and was not so fearful of sharing the deeper puddles in my psychie.

I had an unfortunate expirence once by trying to make my blog amusing for the general public yet personal enought to catch attention. It was a blog in which I over dramatized a dating oprotunity with a girl. She then read it. She was angry - wackieness ensued. From then, I was a bit more cautious as to what I wrote. Perhaps my personal thoughts and emotions are not as ready for the public consumptions as I had thought.

I gradually have been phasing out more and more of my personal thoughts and deep feelings. I recenly went out on a limb again and explained to the world why I am fed up with the everyday American woman and to perhaps straighten out to myself why I have been dating Asians. Again I learned how hard it can be to temper a publicly entertaining blog while apeasing my close friends mentioned in it. If you read the comments you can tell that if those girls were vipers (literally) they would have doused me in venem a long time ago...

Purpose...


(Mar 22, 2005)

Not too long ago I had a thought provoking moment. What is my purpose? This is a question that I have pondered before, but have recenlty reevaluated. This comes in responce to a devotional we recenlty had on campus featuring President Packer, Acting President of the Quarm of 12 apostles.

He began by talking about the purpouse of this university. He was saying that it is not secret that many people come here with hopes of getting married. He himself was no exception. He seemed fine with that being a common reason for being here. "Well, We also hold classes..."

He told the story of him meeting his wife at BYU Provo. He admited that was his primary goal after the mission. He didn't even start to preach about the importance of getting an education. He made is sound secondary and being alright with that. The important thing is that I "should know who you are and why you are here."

I had forgotten that.

So, the big secret is now out. I'll tell the honest truth in case anyone didn't already now. I am not here for an education. I never was. I came here for the same reason Elder Packer did. He apparently is better than I am at obtaining it...


...139...138...137...


(Mar 25, 2005)

In the book of Matthew the Savior is asked how many times a man must forgive his neighbor. His answer was "Until seventy times seven". (Matt. 18:22) I have cleverly (and originally, I'm sure) calculated that up to 140 times. So the question begs, how many times do I have to forgive David and Richie?

The other two RAs here that I work with have just about run out. To be fair, Richie usually tries to make it better later. Either way, wrongs are made - frequently. Geez, let me count the ways.

Let's start with David...


So, what's up next for "Lost In Laie"©®™? Who knows. I take suggestions and most importantly, bribes.

6 comments:

E.Marie said...

Your doing good. Just keep putting those thoughts out there so we can all go WHAT!!!! or choose to ignore it. ^_^

teamwebb said...

I'm gonna be surprised if you get away with that whole female laptop thing. I mentioned that it is easier to pay attention to male speakers than female speakers at general conference and I've had girls jumping down my throat ever since.

Rare Insights said...

I like to think that I've got the best of both worlds...well, I've got a man's mentality minus the male-heterosexuality (meaning I still like boys)...and the whole female thing, I'm still trying to figure out the perks to that one. I would love to be able to pee anywhere and not have to use toilet paper. :(

So, dare I say, anything that is said about females being incompetent for the most part, I agree with knowing that there are a handful of females who are the exception, and as long as I am one of them...say whatever you like hehehe.

Females sometimes are very hard to serve. I should know. I'd rather hang out with the guys.

Rossie said...

I chuckled at the women and laptop thing. I shall tell you a story. My husband and I were having an argument (early on in the marriage I might add)...I told him I would remove his hard drive if he didn't start to play nice. It's a big threat...he's an IT junkie. He didn't take me seriously - he didn't think I even knew where to find the hard drive much less remove it without electrocuting myself. Anyway, that afternoon came home to find the door locked and me at the back of the PC with a screwdriver. Poor man. He had a hard time convincing me to give it back, too. There are a few classes of relationships that women have with technology: Estranged, Distant, A Secret Affair or Committed. Personally, I go for The Secret Affair. It means I can act clueless and leave the inconvenient work to everyone else ;)

Jared said...

Great stuff, rossie!

Fei said...

Ahah! So you did read that blog post after all!

People who don't know how to fix their own computers should not be allowed to have one! Geez people, give them to someone who will appreciate it and love it and keep it - mostly - spyware free and such.

That having been said. Jared, when can you fix my computer?