Thursday, December 01, 2005

Ridiculous Rubric...

I made a post about a month a go that spoke of a test I took in 28 minutes where others spent 2 hours. I finally got my results.

Needless to say, I am not happy.

The reason I am not happy is not just due to my poor grade, although that is part of it. What makes me mad is that most of my answers were totally correct, but I still did not get full credit for them. Why is that, you may ask? Because the teacher had a surprise grading rubric that she informed us of AFTER we had already taken the test!

The way she graded our tests was as follows: She reads the question. Then reads our answer and gives one point for every thing mentioned in the answer that can be justified. If the person put down 10 things that could be justified, they got 10 points. If another person, such as I, were to put one or two things down (that were totally correct and appropriate responses), then he only got 1 or 2 points. Therefore, I got somewhere in the 60% rage.

After taking a class for a few months that emphasizes brevity and conciseness, I would have expected being rewarded for showing such skills. But nay, my teacher in her infinite wisdom decided to punish the skills she was endeavoring to teach.

I spoke with her about the situation and she laughed, "Well, you only spent 28 minutes on the test."

"Yes, but that is not the issue. The issue is that You gave me less than full credit for a correct answer based on a rubric you determined while grading. Don't you see a problem with that?"

She didn't.

Arrrg!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What class was this Jared? That's unbelievable! You should report her or something....that's completely unfair and basically unethical...especially at BYUH!!!! Lamo!!!
Hope the class goes ok in the long run.
:-)

Unknown said...

hey there, now that is insane. I would be complaining about her up the wazoo. Well, you should just say, " eat this or suck that" when you walk out of her room. It would make it so much more dramatic. I love DRAMA. Anyways how are ya?