Friday, October 10, 2008

The Doctor's Report...

I mentioned a few weeks back that I went to see the doctor (and it didn't go so well).

Last week I got a call from the doctor saying she went over my results from the urine and blood work and wanted to see me again to go over the results. *Gulp*

So, met with her this week. I normally don't get uncomfortable in hospitals or waiting rooms. I keep my cool pretty well. But knowing that they called me in to look at my chart, and keeping in mind my family's history of heart disease and potential for diabetes, I was getting antsy. This is naturally why the waiting took longer than usual.

Eventually they decided to call me in. The nurse took some basic stats. I was nervous and my blood pressure was a bit higher to reflect that. Not a good sign.

After 30 minutes in the waiting room, and another 40 minutes in the patient room, I finally got down to the reason I was there. The doc opened up my file and started with my cholesterol. It was good. In fact, it was very good. She seemed very pleased with my results. She also went over my blood sugar, and again seemed satisfied. I sighed relief. I was still dodging those bullets that I thought were marked for me.

But then why was I there? Did I fork over a co-payment to find out I was fine? Nope, she then looked over my white blood cell count. It was 5 times what it normally is. She was worried I had some illness lurking within that my body was trying to fight. We went over my history and I reminded her of the flu shot she recommended I get and that I didn't want. It gave me the flu. The next morning was when I came back to get my blood taken. That's why my white blood cells were up - I was fighting the virus she gave me!

All that anxiety for nothing. This reminded me of the time that I got a call from the Blood Bank of Hawaii. At least I found out that all things considered, I'm still pretty healthy.

There was one other thing she mentioned. My HDL (the good cholesterol) was a bit low. She speculated it was due to the fact that I'm a computer geek and don't get enough cardiovascular exercise. It was recommended that I get more exercise to bring those levels up.

Of course, this is the same doctor who suggested I get the flu shot that made me sick. Can I trust this voodoo medicine of "exercise"? I think I better stick to my regimen of cheese and Wheat Thins coupled with Kitchen Nightmares reruns. I did, however, successfully leverage this advise into convincing my wife to get me the Wii Fit, so this experience wasn't a total loss.

No comments: