Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Making 3D Photo Worlds is a Synth...

I'm not one to blindly (and without profit) plug a site or service. But thought this one was cool and I can also show off my work.

Microsoft recently created a new site called Photosynth. Long story short, it takes a huge heaping of photos from a given locale or scene, blends them together where they overlap and creates a "walk through" of them. Not quite a true 3D expirence, but still pretty cool. In order to really get it, you have to go there.

That being said, I've already made two. Both come from Saipan. When I was there I took a lot of pics of The Last Outpost and The Grotto. Check them out.

Saipan's Last Stand
Saipan's Grotto

Also, it should be noted that this being a Microsoft project, there are catches. First, you must download and install yet another plugin. As if having to get Silverlight, Adobe Flash, Adobe Shockwave and all those others wasn't a pain enough. And second, this only works on Windows XP and Visa. Sorry Mac, your cool scruffy image that needs a haircut can't join in the party. Sucker...

No comments: