Monday, October 25, 2004

Ya Gotta Fight For Your Right To Vote...

I have never voted in a presidential election. I was never old enough before the current Bush was Elected. I was old enough for the election which saw him to office, but I was on my mission, had not registered and had no clue as to how. Since he won anyway, I don't fret too much.

This time, things are different. It's a pretty dead heat as far as I can tell. I think that every vote really does count on a big election like this. I want to make sure that my voice is heard. But there's one problem; Arizona dosen't.

I am in Hawaii for the second presidential election in a row. This time, I am registered. I requested my absentee ballot in August. This was done the way I know best, meaning the internet. I was assured with a confrimation e-mail and webpage that told me my request was confirmed and I will soon recieve my ballot. I never did.

I started to get worried when I noticed that nothing was in the mail. Today I took action. I found a number to call. I called it. After getting fed up with menu options, I pushed #, then *, then # again. The system at this point thinks it's dealing with a retard and sends me to a waiting cue to talk with the actual retard that answers the phones.

Just when I cannot take the hold music any longer I get a mostly live one. I explain my situation. He has all the answers, right?

"Well, Mr. Bodine, we did send you the ballot."

"I have not recieved it."

"Yes, we sent it to your address and the post office sent it back saying you were temperarily relocated."

"Well of course I am temperarily relocated. Why would I need an absentee ballot if I wasn't!?"

"Well, the post office cannot forward any ballots. They had to send it back."

"No on told me it could not be forwarded. Send it to my address here then."

"We can't. We need you to send a written request with a signature."

"OK, I'll do that. What's the address?"

"You can't. It's too late now. The deadline was this last Friday, 3 days ago."

Why, oh why, can't this guy explain to me that I can't do something before he offers it as a solution? "So what do I do?"

I think at this point I confused him. He was dazed for a minute. Independent thought was a bit much for him. He reacted like I expected - HOLD. Ten minutes later he came back.

"Sir, you would need to come to Arizona to sign a release or vote here."

"Ok, let me explain. I am away. I need an absentee ballot because I can't be there to vote. This is why we have this system. I am three thousand miles away. I need to do this from here."

Silence.

"Tell me, why did no one notify me that my ballot had been returned?"

"Well, you were three thousand miles away."

"Cute, but I have a phone number."

"We figured since you were not at that residence, we could not reach you there."

"You didn't even try! My parents live there and would be willing to assist you. And even if no one answers, we have an answering machine. You could have at least left a message."

"I'm sorry sir, there is nothing more I can do. My manager says that you will need to be here in Arizona to vote."

"Fine! Let me talk to your manager...now!"

"Are you sure you want to? It will be a ten minute wait."

Now he's trying to discourage me from talking to his supiroir? Grrr, I want blood.

Ten minutes later I get someone alive again. This person then also has to speak with her supervisor. After going through similar dialouge and debate she comes up with a solotion. "Do you have a fax machine?"

"Not on me, but I can get one!"

"OK, just fax us a request with your date of birth and a signature with your current mailing address."

Finally! Why couldn't they have thought of this 30 prime time cell phone minutes earlier?!

I think that I may get my chance to vote, despite oposition. Nothing like making you fight for your right to vote to make you want it more. If every citizen had to go through this, they'd vote twice, just to frustrate the incompetent people at the registrars office.

I'm concearned with the state of my state. I understand that Arizona has issues with ballots left and right. It might be time to change my residency to where I am most of the time anyway.

I'm also concearned with my country. I want my right to vote. I want to use it. I may not make a big difference, but I want to make a difference where I can. This is my country, and no one will tell me that I have no say in it. I may have small control, but I have some. Don't take that from me. This year, I will cast my vote, I will be heard.

No comments: