Thursday, March 10, 2005

When I Grow Up...

Father: "So, John, what do you want to do when you grow up?"
John: "I don't want to grow up; I want to be a Toys R Us kid."
- John Kerley to a date's father before they left for the evening.


At my age when someone asks you what you want to be when you grow up, they are basically talking down to you as a child with hopes and dreams, but no intent or purpose.

If you know me, you most likely say that I am immature. I can neither confirm nor deny that. But I can tell you what the official stance of Brigham Young University Hawaii General Consensus Department's™ stance on that is.

When I first came here as a young single lad I was full of hope and inspiring awe. Now it has been a full two years since I first stepped into the academic environment here and realized that the "H" in BYU-H actually stood for "High" as in High School. As far as I can tell, only one thing has changed in me from then to now. I am no longer young. For some reason I am really starting to feel my age. I see most of my actual peers moving on, getting married or worrying about their kids. They are adults. I may be the same age, but for some reason, am still just a kid.

I guess what really spurs this on is something that happened to me the other day. I went into an office here on campus. We make the mistake of hiring students for everything here on campus and have poor levels of service here as a result. This department is no exception. I had to see a department head about something. I made an appointment and was waiting to see him. When he comes out the secretary that knew I was waiting for the department head gestures toward me and says, "Oh, we have a kid here to see you..."

Not only did I not like what she said, she also said it in the "this is grow-up talk, pretend to not hear us" tone. This minimum wage employee was likely the same age as me; perhaps a couple of years older - tops. How is it so apparent that I am a "kid"? What is the real distinguisher here, anyway?

Then, the next day I went to my beloved* RA class. In this class our teacher wanted us to show the rest of our class what fun games we learned from other cultures. I had a look on my face that was quite obvious. I was trying to keep a smile but due to my mood, they must have thought I was like a creature in the wild just bearing my teeth in hopes to keep them at bay. I was not asked to participate.

Select few were called up to the front. They were paired guy/girl. Then they had to stand on a single sheet of newspaper and dance on it. After about :30 to :60 seconds they would stop the music and fold the paper in half and do it again. Once a pair was no longer capable of dancing on the paper they would be out. Cute? Ya, I played it a few times in FHE. Great. But at that moment I had a revelation. The reason I want to get married so bad has nothing to do with getting married. It's so I don't have to participate in stupid things like that anymore.

This is what the Brigham Young University Hawaii General Consensus Department's™ stance is on being an adult: If you are married, you are an adult. If not, you are a kid. That's it.

Had I been an adult, they would not make me sign out to make a midnight run to Chevron. If I had been an adult, they wouldn't have sent me to the Honor Code office and a tribunal council because I dressed up for April Fools. If I had been an adult they wouldn't make me eat three square meals in the Much Applauded Caf™ as part of my rent. If I were an adult President Shumway would have listened to me when I was there to support a proposal of a campus radio station and not shrug it off as mere childish fantasy. If I were an adult they wouldn't refer to me as "kid" when I am there on business. And if I were and adult they wouldn't make my class play a "dance-on-a-newspaper-with-some-girl-they-pair-you-with" game. The little gold or silver band on your finger distinguishes maturity not matrimony on this campus.

Being a kid can be fun. It has it's advantages. But I am tired of being talked down to. I am tired of having my opinions disregarded because I am just a kid. I am tired of having my teachers and married peers talk around me in exclusive "big-boy" tones. They sure seem to think of my wallet as a grown-up’s wallet. Why not me?

So, when people ask me what I want to do when I grow up won't tell them the cute little answers they expect from us lesser beings. No, not the fireman, policeman, superhero or even the lesser sought after childhood dream of fiscal clerk. I will tell them the truth. "I want to be a married adult that has your respect."

Truly, that is all I want to be.

I'm just a kid
And life is a nightmare
I'm just a kid
I know that it's not fair
Nobody cares cuz I'm alone and the world is
Nobody wants to be alone in the world

I'm just a kid
And life is a nightmare
I'm just a kid
I know that it's not fair
Nobody cares cuz I'm alone and the world is
Nobody wants to be alone in the world
Nobody cares cuz I'm alone and the world is having more fun than me tonight
I'm all alone tonight
Nobody cares tonight
Cuz I'm just a kid tonight

- I'm Just A Kid by Simple Plan


* = Less than beloved...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Getting married should be for more than just not having to play dumb games! I'm sure you really didn't mean that. I knwo you want to get marreid for more reasons than that. Being married is really nice in a lot of ways but it's something that shouldn't be rushed into. Bryan and I only dated for two months then we were marreid two months after that. We rushed it! We just couldn't keep our hands off of each other! We are happy but sometimes we talk about how we should of dated longer and so on. We waited almost a year to get pregnant and we are so happy we at least had that time to ourselves. When you are married it's so nice to knwo you always have someone to be with ans someone to do things with. You never have to call a bunch of people to see what they are doing tonight to find out they all have dates but you! Dating is very importnat though. It helps you know what you do and don't want in your wife. After I dated Wesley Walker, I knew how it wasn't supposed to feel. So when I met my husband I knew if felt totally oppisite of that and knew it was right. So you have to date to find what you want. You'll find it! About the whole growing up bit, I think guys grow up slower than girls. All our lives we want to be older and do grown up things and guys just want to keep being kids and playing with their GI JOE guys. My husband is 31 this month and is just a big kid but I love it! He's great with our little boy! So I think you'll be the same way! You are great with kids! So don't worry about growing up! You'll be just fine!

Rossie said...

That is just rude. As much as I love the church, I have to admit that sometimes the people get a little nutty about their priorities. When I was single, I was 'young and inexperienced'. Married - I was 'young and inexperienced, also had no children and therefore no real understanding of anything at all'. Now that I have a child, I am 'selfish and doing the bare minimum to fulfill my commandment to replenish the earth, also being cruel as I have not popped out more babies to keep the first one company'. You can't argue with ignorant people. They can't comprehend that someone could actually think differently to them. Now a days I just smile and nod vacantly. Each to their own, I suppose.

Jared said...

One day I'll be a real boy...

Anonymous said...

Tribunal council? Do tell (for those of us who immigrated to the frozen wasteland and missed the live show).
Yeah, and if people ask you want you want to be when you grow up, it's really so much more fun if you freak them out and say something like "a lawyer for Wolfram and Hart" (if they get it) or "the next Stalin" (if they won't get anything newer than that).

BH said...

I wouldn't call you childish even if you may be. In fact, as long as you know how to handle things as an adult, being childish inside wouldn't matter.

"And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and be baptized in my name, and become as a little child, or ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God"

3 Nephi 11:38

Anonymous said...

Ok I'm ready for a new post on your blog. This one has gone to long.

Jared said...

Well said, Han. I guess your sisters were a good influence on you after all.

BH said...

Hehe.. thanks, Jared