Saturday, July 02, 2005

Costly Habits...

Not having as many work hours as expected, I have had to find other things to pass the time. One thing I have started doing is archiving DVD movies. I have acquired some software that makes it possible to record any movie regardless of copyright and encryption restrictions. I have since burned about 150 movies. I feel like I am spending more money on the blank DVDs than the cost of the actual movie.

And as I have mentioned earlier, I have also started to scrapbook my mission. The slow progress is actually starting to pay off. Just the other day a good friend of mine, Beth, sent me a care package. It landed at my feet via my dad just as I was in the thrall of scrapbooking. It was full of great stickers, pictures and sheets. I was happy. Then I realized that I was happy about getting stuff that girls usually clamor for. I was sad.

I think seeing what kind of cool stuff I can get for scrapbooking sunk in. The next day I went shopping. Everybody always told me how expensive this hobby was. I thought they were exaggerating about it. They weren't.

After buying some more much needed plastic sleeves and rich indulgences in stickers and rubb-ons my wallet slipped into my pocket all too easily.

Watching my money ebb away faster than it can come in has helped me decide to finish up with this stuff as fast as possible and move on to something cheaper. I'm leaning toward crack cocaine. It’s far less addictive and will save me hundreds of dollars a week.

4 comments:

Su Chong said...

Are you sure you're not a double X rather than an XY baby? Maybe your Y chromosome is defective and thus causing you to have girly desires to persue scrapbooking...cocaine wouldn't help either cuz it might kill whatever's left of that Y and you might find yourself totally transformed into a girl..AHH!...actually, that doesn't sound bad at all...girls rule! =) hahaha

...I knew there was a reason why we call you Susan...

;-)

glo said...

Crack is always a good idea. Easy to get, exciting to use...much less obsessive than scrapbooking.

And way to contact your feminine side, man. Those genes get seriously neglected in most guys.

Rossie said...

Scrapbooking IS a manly activity. You get to use scissors and scalpels, and technologically advanced adhesives. Not only that, but think of the mathematics and algorithms you are unconsciously using when you place each photograph in its ordered place! Wow. Scrapbooking is so manly, it's like a McGuyver experience.

Anonymous said...

Hey jared, sounds like you are having a blast. well I just wanted to leave you a little not so that you know that I am alive and well. also Hi Beth I hope everything is going well for you to. I can't wait to come home and scrapbook my mission. well send me an e-mail or a letter either one would be great. also how was virgina I hope you had fun. you have to tell me all about it. lastly beth your awesome you and jared should get together and do his scrapbook hint hint jared. well have a great day. later