Thursday, July 28, 2005

The Dark Side Over The Rainbow...

My life is now 35% more complete as of today. This time I have done something momentous. I have fulfilled a dream that many only...well...dream of.

For the first time I checked the theory that Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon" perfectly coincides with "The Wizard Of Oz".

Last semester I was in Hot Topic in Ala Moana Mall and I saw a reprint of the album in vinyl. I couldn't resist. It was great, came with all of the stickers, art and inserts as the original and a 20th anniversary sticker in addition. I knew then that I had to explore the rumors of "The Wizard Of Oz". The problem was that I didn't have a record player or the movie.

I came home and added "The Dark Side Of The Moon" to my already flattering vinyl collection. Just a few days ago, I got a copy of "The Wizard Of Oz" from the library. Before I rushed into the event I did some online researching. I thank Al Gore every day for his gift to the world. After a few minutes on the world wide web I had discovered that there are many versions available as to the proper way to set this up. After all of my research I decided the most trusted and accepted theory is known as "the third roar" theory. This says that you start the album just as the MGM lion roars for the third and final time. I went to my stereo now donated to my father's family room. It is hard to time it when you use a record, but I managed.

Sure enough, it does actually match up. Just to see what we were missing from the movie audio I turned on the captions. Pink Floyd sings about balancing while Dorithy is balancing on the pig fence. Bells ring, Dorithy looks up and along comes the wicked neighbor soon to be a witch. The song "Money" (first track on side two) starts just as you walk into color. The representatives from the lollipop guild even kick to the beat. They sing about "the lunatic is on the grass" as the Scarecrow is sitting on the grass talking to Dorithy about his plight. As the album ends you hear a heartbeat. This is while Dorithy is listening to the tin woodsman for that heart beat.

The album ends shortly before you are halfway through. There are also a myriad of theories as to what to do at that time. The most convincing to me was to use their album "Animals" then followed by some other of his repeating tracks 2-5 until the movie ends. It has also been said that you can just repeat "The Dark Side Of The Moon" again. I only had that album, so that is what I did. Again, it still seemed to have some good coincidences. "Money" starts up again as you enter into Oz. That fit well for me. Also, the movie seems to end just as side one ends for the third and final time. It all fits too well.

All I have to say is that Pink Floyd had WAY too much free time on their hands. What kind of acid trip inspired that? I admit it's kind of cool, but was it really worth the time it took to do?

Still, I don't think the coincidences come close to matching up with what happens when you play "Barney's Favorite Hits Vol. 2" with "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" (the Gene Wilder version, of course). And if you think that is something, wait till you time Ace of Base's "The Sign" album to "Pee Wee Herman's Big Adventure". That's a trip...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting.... I guess. You really do have a lot of free time on your hands don't you? When do you go back to school anyway? Keep up the good work at making me wish I was bored! I only have 13 days till I have my baby!!! Crazy huh?

Davey From The Block said...

Jared,

You are an interesting fellow. I like your "scientific" research projects. Keep it up.

-Dave