Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Heavy...

"So long we go, his welfare is my concern
no burdon is he to bear, we'll get there
But I know he would not encumber me
He ain't heavy - he's my brother"
- The Hollies (1970)


I subcribe to the "LDS Gems" mailing list. I get emailed every day with a thought of some kind to keep me from doing something dastardly. Today it looked like an everyday message untill I read the last line. I wondered if it was a joke...

"Your most important friendships should be with your own brothers and
sisters and with your father and mother. Love your family. Be loyal to
them. Have a genuine concern for your brothers and sisters. Help carry
their load so you can say, like the lyrics of that song, 'He ain't heavy;
he's my brother.'"

(Ezra Taft Benson, "To the 'Youth of the Noble Birthright,' " Ensign,
May 1986, 43.)


Ezra Taft Benson knew the hippie song, "He Ain't Heavy" by the Hollies and quoted it? Man, I don't think the kids of 1986 would even know that song anyway. I didn't. Makes you wonder if one year Hinkley will get up at the podium and read the words to the Black Eyed Peas song, "Where Is the Love?" or speak to missionaires and quote, "Shake ya tail feather" by P.Diddy and Nelly. That'll be fun.

No comments: