Monday, May 03, 2004

The Art Of Toe Painting...

"I feel pretty,
Oh so pretty.
I feel pretty and witty and gay.
And I pity
Any girl who isn't me today."

- Maria from West Side Story



Like father like son. As a teenager my dad was caught singing this song in the backyard by Grandpa. I bet Gramps was relieved once my dad had a kid.
I took a similar route of borderline feminism this weekend.

I went last year to watch a movie after sunset on Waikiki beach. It's really cool. They set up a huge screen and loud speakers and everyone and anyone can come and watch for free. It's usually good first rate movies recently released on DVD. I finally got to go again Saturday and see "The Cat In The Hat."

The Cat In The Hat

On a note not all that related, I like it. Not the best movie for kids, and I don't think I'd buy the DVD, but good, especially for free.

After I went to hang out with a girl named Britta. She's a cool gal from Utah who came here to get away from it and, well, it is Hawaii. She goes to University of Hawaii, so I never met her before. I first met her last week when we camped out at Makapu'u point. Neither of us have cars so we didn't anticipate seeing that much of each other, but I told her I'd give her a buzz when I was in town. So I did.

While there, they (meaning all the girls living there) were painting toe nails and doing French manicures, etc. Being a man, I resisted the temptation to join in...for about 10 seconds.

I colored outside the lines

Painted toes complete with a surfing scar on the left and "Trogdor!" on the right.


So what?! I had never tried it before, I was invited to, at first I said "No thanks" then after asked a second time or so, I decided to give it a go. There is nothing wrong with that...right?
To make it more "cool" I had a friend paint "Trogdor!" on my right big toe. It's sideways and you can't tell unless you know, but that's still a pimptacular thing to do.

On the ride home the general consensus of the car was that I came across as trying too hard. Trying to hard?! Trying to hard to fit in, to impress or delight the girls and, judging by the look of my toes, trying to hard to paint.

From now on, I'm not gonna try at all. That's right. No more "Axe Effect" or Mach 3 shaves. No more shampoo - no more showers even. No need for dryer sheets, I won't be doing laundry. I can give my comb out since I'll be letting my hair grow out to a point where I can tuck it behind my ears and not worry about it. Then we'll see what people think about my trying too hard.
Honestly, what do people what? If you don't do it, they say you are a wimp, you do it and you are a push over and try too hard.

Have I said today that I hate girls?

No comments: