Friday, December 01, 2006

Pocky Men's...

At the risk of becoming hated, I will say that I honestly think that the average Asian male is becoming a bit too feminine. Granted, I am not saying all, but many. If you don’t believe me, just look at these pics of today’s Korean “male” pop stars.

Exhibit A


Exhibit B


Exhibit C



Recently I have seen many little kids who are Japanese. I know that there are cultural differences, but I see the things that the parents dress these kids in, and I have to guess at their gender some times. I think that a certain amount of androgyny is healthy, but I at least want to know the gender of what I’m talking to, you know?

So, I can only wonder about things that are meant for men. The smaller islands get goods from all over. Often products on shelves are from Asia rather than the U.S. I enjoy seeing all sorts of new and unusual products when I shop. On my last trip, I saw Pocky sticks. I have always enjoyed a good box of them. But next to the standard Pocky sticks were Pocky Men's.

The only difference I could see was that the box said “Men” on it and it was blue, rather than the standard red. Well, even for a boy color like blue, it was really teal, which we all know is the feminine cousin to blue that says he only sits to pee because it keeps the toilet cleaner.

Pocky Men



I had to buy it just to see if there was a notable difference. Upon opening it, it seemed like a regular box of Pocky sticks. But then as I was turning the box upside down to empty the contents, something fell out. What would you think would come in a box of Pocky Men but something really manly? Ya, it all made perfect sense. Now I know what was so manly about the box.

You may have guessed it by now. I came loaded with “manly” stickers. Sparkly stickers of the sun; all cute and purple. I can’t think of anything more manly than that. I guess I was wrong - Asians are more masculine every day.

Manly Prize in each box



I’m not trying to sound like a homophobe or overly manly, but you have to admit, when a box comes advertised as “Manly” and therefore comes with cute purple sparkly smiley-faced sun stickers, you have to wonder. If nothing else, it’s good for a laugh.

I think Ford Motor Company should employ the same technique to regain the manly image that now belongs to Dodge. I am preparing a proposal to Ford to start offering a free lifetime supply of doilies for every F-150 and F-250 purchased in the next year. Now that’s manly. I should know. There is no one that is more of an authority of masculinity than good 'ole American me!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, that's just . . . WRONG . . . on SO many levels!

But, yes, we've noticed that here, as well. I think this "Metrosexual" thing has gone too far.

Hit us up for diving! We're sinning and going to San Luis on Sunday. *Shame, shame*

Amy :)