Wednesday, July 09, 2008

3,000 More Temples...

What I didn’t know before this trip is that Angkor Wat was just the government center of the region. As I mentioned in the previous post, there are over 3,000 more temples – and that’s just the ones that survived and we know about.

No, we didn’t go to all of them, but it sure felt like it. We got to see the ones that have giant, Omec-like faces carved into them. Some temples were restored to almost new looking quality, some were left to look as they were when they were discovered. We even got to walk around the temple they used for the rustic temple scenes in Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life.

Rather than give you a long list of GPS coordinates and boring details, I’ll just let you see the pics since that’s all you’ll be looking for anyway.


Temple Stairs

These are actually some of the easier stairs we had to climb.



Ancient Arch

They still use these ancient doorways today.



Face Temple

The famous faces that remind me of the Omecs in South America



Copycat

Do I look like them?



Tree

This giant tree is growing out of the temple roof.



Tree Roots

This is the inside of the temple and the roots of that giant tree above.



Ruined Ruins

These ruins are ruined.



Doorway

A doorway made more famous when Laura Croft ran through them in the Tomb Raider movie.



Holding up the temple

I was paid $10/hour to hold this up. Not worth it…



Dino

No one is sure exactly how these ancient people knew about dinosaurs, but that is a stegosaurus if I ever saw one.



Dance Dance Revolution, Cambodia Mix

Just so you know, this pose hurts more that you’d think. I won’t be quitting my day job.

No comments: