Saturday, July 19, 2008

For Time and All Eternity...

N 14 deg 36.082'
E 121 deg 04.162'


Distant temple


After my family returned from the south of Vietnam, we packed up again and left for our last destination; The Philippines.

We got into the country in the evening. All we wanted was to do was go to our accommodations and get some rest. One of my co-workers, Freddie, owns a travel agency in Manila, so we booked our Philippine sight seeing and travel through him. We waited on the curb of the airport for the private driver we reserved. And then we waited more. And then some more. After I tracked down his cell phone number I called him and he had no excuse; he was just late. An hour after he was supposed to be there, we got into the van. Maybe it's just me, but if I was picking up personal friends of the boss, I'd be early.

We drove to the Manila Temple as we were to stay in the patron housing. I was warned it'd be rustic. I wasn't aware it'd be prison-campish. Four double bunk beds to a small room that affords no privacy, let alone a place to put your luggage. There's a window AC unit, however, the power cable is just dangling there to taunt you. It won't work. The communal bathroom is as sketchy as you'd guess. Oh, and they do supply a single bed sheet and a single pillow case, but unless you brought your own towel, you'll have to air dry with 30 or so of your closest strangers.

But we were there for a special purpose that kept our spirits up regardless. Although I was hot and trying to squeeze into a bed made for umpalumpas, I woke up the next morning eager to get the day started. It was the day that Anna and I were to be sealed for time and all eternity.

As we walked out of our patron room, we got a glimpse of the temple across the street.

Across the street


This was Anna's first trip to a temple. So she needed to go through for herself first. There was mass confusion trying to get the paper work settled and renting the clothes we needed etc. We also took some pictures waiting for everything.

Spire

Arch


One of the funniest things I saw was a Mormon Mobile that was unique to the Philippines. If you have been to the PI or know people who have, you might know about jeepneys. They started out as old WWII leftover Jeeps that locals customized to make look unique and attract business for cab rides. Today, jeepneys are a common way for locals to get around. This is more of a bus than jeepney, but on the same theme.

Mormon Jeepney

Brings a new meaning to the term "Gaudy."



After the wait we finally did our session together and got sealed. It was something to look through the double mirrored walls and see a virtual forever with Anna by my side.

This was the third time we were married. First in Arizona, second in Vietnam, and the third time was the charm. The others were only till death did us part. Now, as long as we live as we should, we will be together forever. It's a great blessing and comfort. My mom was crying, my dad appeared to be genuinely proud of me, and Anna and I were beaming. It was a great day.

In front of the temple

We didn't have enough time to do a second session that day. We had to leave patron housing (which we were glad to be kicked out of) and get to our hotel in downtown Makati. We drove away and slowly the we fell out of our "special moment" trance and back to normal. But regardless of how normal we all started to feel and act, one thing would never change. As of now, Anna and I are sealed to each other for time and all eternity. And that is special.

1 comment:

Allison said...

Way to go you guys! I am so happy for you!!!