Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Just Eat It...

Ok, so I think I’m a pretty good tourist. I don’t ask stupid questions. I don’t cross the lines we aren’t supposed to. I respect the sacred things of the places I visit. And I always try to enjoy the local cuisine. But at some point I have to say enough is enough.

After three weeks of eating throughout South-East Asia, I have just about had my fill of dishes were I had to ask, “What is that?” I just want something that does not involve second guessing. I have had some dishes I really enjoy, like Pho Bo, which is a beef noodle soup.

Pho Bo

But then there are the other things.

Bugs

The problem with serving pill bugs is that you can't help but play with your food.



Chicken Head

It's like that duck decapitation scene in A Christmas Story, only they expect you to not waste this head.



Jar-o-fun

Now there's a grab bag of fun. This makes me simultaneously thirsty and hungry.



Snakes

This is a barrel of snakes. Yummy.



Table of food

While I am grateful for the food I have been provided, I have to admit that meal time in Vietnam is like Fear Factor...every time.



And what you saw above is just the stuff I came in contact with. I had fun taking some pictures of the menu choices at one place. Just look at the stuff of this menu.

Eel

This was actually my second time eating eel. It's not as gross as you'd think. But I just can't get past the thought of it in my head.



Frog

Thanks to the French, Vietnam has great pastries and cheeses. But that also means Snails and Frogs too. At least they made the frog dish sound Asian with "Sweet and Sour Frog."



Half Cooked Goat

"Half cooked goat with lemon." When a fully cooked meal won't satisfy...



Pigeon

I didn't know there were so many ways to cook pigeon. Someone should let New York City know. That's take care of both the pigeon infestation and starving homeless at the same time.



Rabbit

I don't mind rabbit, but with mushrooms? Forget it.



Trionychid Turtle

A Trionychid turtle is the kind that kids get as pets...and as snacks in Vietnam.



Crub?

I know that you are thinking that where is says "crub" it's just a typo. Odds are, it's some peculiar creature you don't want to eat. If you ever assume something is a typo you'll be surprised what kind of food you actually get if you order it.



Some may not be that exotic, but all not what you eat every day in America. Don’t get me wrong. I do like to try new things. And I have proof. And now I can say for sure I never want to eat snail again.

Snail

When I get home I am going to gorge myself on Taco Bell. Please, don’t tell me how they make it or what the kitchen is like at Taco Bell. I don’t want to know.

1 comment:

Allison said...

Wowzers! That's all I can say! As much as I have enjoyed your travel log and tghe most amazing sights, I NEVER want to visit those places! I'd starve for sure!