Saturday, July 05, 2008

I Didn't See an Elephant Fly...

N 18 deg 53.988
E 98 deg 52.520


Nose Picking

Animal activists would probably cry aloud if they were to see this place. We ride the elephants. We make them perform shows. They even are forced to paint. However, I think it’s pretty clear that these elephants are treated pretty well.
If you don’t plan on riding an elephant or watching a show then you’ll have nothing else to do.

Signs

The elephants circle the show floor actually paying harmonicas via the trunk while the baby hula-hoops with his.

The Show

They then play soccer. It’s not quite as cool as a real game. But they do have one stand as a goalie and two are set to kick as if at a penalty shot.

Soccer

This shot was a miss, but they did make a few in.



The finale is the painting. These elephants actually paint pictures themselves. I’m sure they’ve been taught what pictures to make, but that doesn’t make it less impressive. I’ve seen footage of this same thing on YouTube. It’s cool to be there in person and witness it yourself.

Elephant Painting

And for a premium, you can buy them. They cost about $60 USD each. More for detailed ones and even more if you get the “impressionist” style that the elephants do without being taught. My mom got a cheaper $30 one that is pretty darn cool.

The finished products

The one in the middle was painted by the elephant in front of us. My mom bought the one on the right.



Before leaving we had to try riding one. Most everyone in my group had already been elephant back, but it was cheap enough to be worth going again.

On the ride

My dad and I on elephant back.



We walked through a well trodden path and into a steam where the elephant splashed around. All in all,this is a fun park and these elephants are taken care of extremely well for their showmanship. The elephants probably think that they are in a exhibit of tourists and have just as much fun patting us with their trunks as we do in a petting zoo.

Baby

I saw some cool elephant tricks that most people will never get to see. Things that I didn't expect to see elephants do. But alas, they don't have and elephant that flies.

No comments: